1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eastern arc / Western arc ? what the hell

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Erastus, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1 of 13
    Erastus

Erastus New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    S.E. Georgia
    I'm dish shopping and I'm confused about which dish I need, I've been running a 500 dish with a quad lnb with 110/119 sat's. So, I assumed that I need a 1000.2 dish with lnb for 110/119/129 sat's. I'm located near Statesboro, ga., zipcode 30461. I am upgrading to HD but still want to get all SD channels. How do you determine if you need eastern arc or western arc dish setup?

2. Jan 5, 2017 #2 of 13
    RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Contact DISH you will need a 1000.2 that matches where your HD local channels are broadcast from. You may qualify for free upgrade and only DISH can tell you.

3. Jan 7, 2017 #3 of 13
    NYDutch

NYDutch Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Upstate NY
    The Savannah, GA local channel market that serves your area is equally available in HD on both arcs. If the western arc aiming is working for you now, then a western arc 1000.2 will likely work as well, although 129 is at a lower elevation and could be an issue. The eastern arc sats are at a significantly higher elevation in your area.

4. Jan 7, 2017 #4 of 13
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    What locals do you get ? THAT will determine which dish you need.

If the HD locals you get are only on Eastern Arc, then you get an eastern Arc Dish. Since you want the Sd channels as well, you would want a 1000.4 Eastern Arc dish. This would work for the VIP receivers and the Hoppers (EXCEPT the newest Hopper3 - for that, you would need the 1000.2 EA H3 LNB + a wing dish for 77). You would NOT get SD satellite locals without a dish aimed at 110 or 119 (depending on your locals), since all Dish HD receivers can show HD channels in SD.

If your HD locals are only on Western Arc, then you would need a 1000.2 Western Arc Dish.

If your market can get HD locals on both Eastern and Western arcs, then it comes down to Line of Sight / installation issues.

5. Jan 7, 2017 #5 of 13
    NYDutch

NYDutch Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Upstate NY
    The OP's ZIP code puts him in the Savannah, GA market. The HD locals are carried on both arcs (61.5 & 129), but the SD locals are on the western arc (119).

6. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    The best answer is to contact a local installer. There are a couple of variables that affect what DISH and LNB. A Hopper is a different install than a VIP receiver including what LNB. You have the Western Arc now but not all of it, to get HD you need to be able to also see the 129 satellite something not always easy to see in the East. It is possible using the Eastern Arc (61.5/72.7 - also 77 but that one isn't necessary - it has the SD version of some channels and can't be used with the Hopper at this time) would be easier to get, those satellites are higher in the sky.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    +1 on Tampa8's post. Raleigh/Durham is also HD on both East and West arcs. The majority of HD Dish installs in my area seem to be western arc, But there are other's besides just me that have Eastern arc (119 and 110 are no problem for me, but 129 is too low with too many too tall trees too close). My eastern arc is the 1000.4 with 77 .

HOWEVER - It depends on which generation Hopper you're talking about for which Dish LNB. Only the Hopper3 requires it's special LNBs - earlier generations use the same LNBs as the VIP series.

tampa8 likes this.
  8. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I can't really speak about the Hopper set ups, but it does sound like if you go w/ the Eastern ARC, you will lose the SD locals. I would request the installers leave your Dish 500 dish alone and install whatever new dish you get separately. You may then be able add in the 110 bird from your dish500 into your set up to add the SD locals.

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    SD locals aren't strictly necessary with an all HD receiver house. ALL Dish HD receivers have outputs for composite video (Yellow) and left /right (red / white) analog audio outputs (this includes the Joeys), and they will downconvert the HD channels down to SD for those outputs. Any locals that are SD only WILL be mirrored on 61.5, so you won't lose them for that reason either.

10. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Sadly Dish just lost a 20+ year customer because of a bad installer. I have a 80+ year old friend in the Cincinnati area. She had an old SD receiver and a dish mounted on a pole in her backyard pointed at 110/119. She called dish to upgrade her equipment. The technician they sent put a dish on her roof and set it to 61.5 because of trees. Since then she lost signal with heavy clouds or light snow. No way for her to reach the dish to brush it off. I assume 61.5 does not get as much sun on the pan so light snow sticks around for days. Finally got so frustrated she canceled and ordered cable.

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Who paid her termination fees?

12. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Her son was helping her get switched to cable. It was supposed to happen Friday and I have not heard if Dish is going to charge her or not. I hope not!

Dish would not send out a technician when she complained. Her son called me when she was having so much LOS. I had no answers for her other then a super soaker.
    Just have a hard time believing they would go with a 61.5 roof mount when there was an existing pole mount in her yard. This is a very high 2 story house. I am 1200 miles away so I don't know if there were line of sight issues with the pole mount or not, but it worked for 20 years.

13. Erastus

Erastus New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    S.E. Georgia
    Thanks everyone for info, I put up a 1000.2 dish with eastern arc (61.5/72.7) sat LNB. I decided not to go with the western arc setup because I do have a tall tree problem and didn't think I would be able to get 129 sat. because of them. Dish install was easy and picked up both sat's in about 5 minutes, I immediately got 60% on both sat's and I'm sure I can get more than that with a little tweaking. My 211z receivers came right up, but I'm having a little trouble getting dual tuner receiver's to get both sat's when I do a switch check. I read a post earlier where you can run a switch check with no sat. cables hooked up and it will clear receiver so it will be able to pick them up when I hook cables back up. I'm going to try that tomorrow and see if that helps. I can go to point dish and see both birds, then check switch might go ok, but when I would go to system info, it wouldn't show both sat's. I thought this would be an easy transition, but like I say, dual tuner receiver's are kicking my butt!