1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eastwick

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Rich, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I expected this show to be a blatant ripoff of the Witches of Eastwick and it kinda is and isn't. We enjoyed it very much. Good cast, good writing, good story line, so far. I didn't particularly care for the movie, but Eastwick I like and hope it goes forward in the same vein.

Rich

2. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    For me, the show is basically Lipstick Jungle, redressed a bit, with the power of women coming from magic instead of their careers, and with a whole bunch of sex thrown in for good measure.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It seemed to us to be a witchy version of "Lipstick Jungle", also. It's been moved to the season shifting external hard drive for future episodes. That way, if it gets better and sticks around, we'll try it again.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I dunno. You could make the argument that Lipstick Jungle was a direct knockoff of Sex And The City too. Eastwick has a totally different story line than either of the above mentioned shows. We liked it. I didn't like Lipstick Jungle , but did like Sex And The City and my wife liked Lipstick Jungle and didn't like SATC. Different people, different opinions. That's why we have "private" HRs.

Rich

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, it's definitely got that Sex and the City/Lipstick Jungle/Cashmere Mafia feel to it, with a little bit of Bewitched and Desperate Housewives thrown in for good measure. That's not a bad combination, but I was expecting to like this one more than Mrs. Shadow did... and in fact she's more fond of it than I am.

I don't know about the long-term prospects for this show. Either they're going to kill Darryl van Horn or learn to live with him, and then I'm not sure where the tension in the show will come from.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wasn't the movie antagonistic at first and then when the witches figured out how good they could have it, it kind of mellowed out? That's what I expect to happen. I picked up on the Desperate Housewives comparison in the pilot when the woman (who sounded suspiciously like the woman who narrates Desperate Housewives) was doing he narrative thruout the show. I liked that.

But throw three or four good looking women together on a show and you're bound to come up with a show that fits your list, no? I'd forgotten about the Cashmere Mafia, because it was, well, forgettable.

Rich

7. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    I missed the first episode but managed to record #2 and watched it this weekend. The plots were a bit confusing, from missing episode one, but it seemed to have a lot to do with the things from the movie brought forward to present day.

The show seemed a bit hyper and jumped around between storylines a lot, but the cast was very likable. If they tone it down a bit and make the characters a bit less one-dimensional it might turn into a good show. Sadly the ratings are bad, so it'll probably get the axe before they have time to find their groove.

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Maybe Alyssa Milano should be a guest star one week followed by Holly Marie Combs and then Shannen Doherty and finally Rose McGowan. This would give them a four episode run.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, I keep recording this show. Last night, while for the time slot there were 1.22 million more viewers than the previous week, "Eastwick" lost about 200,000 viewers from the previous week. "CSI:NY" grew about a million viewers and "Leno" grew 400,000 viewers. With Leno having 21% more viewers than "Eastwick", I have a feeling I'll be deleting this show from my season shifting external hard drive.