1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Easy dish repointing?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cmyers, Apr 29, 2013.

1. cmyers

cmyers New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    New York
    Yesterday I was outside working on a ladder, I went in the house to answer the phone and while inside the wind blew the ladder down and into my directv dish, so its not pointing far left of where it is supposed to be.

Is there any easy way to repoint this dish? Does my Hr24 have a beeper on it so I can turn my tv up loud and spin the dish back to the left again and hear a beep when I am locked on?

I don't want to pay $100 for someone to come out... but being without tv stinks.

Thanks.

2. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    No such luck... If you happen to have the protection plan there is no charge, without it you will have to pay... It might not be out of whack left and right, but also up and down..so you really need the meter to get the right azmith and adjustments.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The DVR does have a signal strength screen, but no audio.
    What you could do is have someone inside view the screen and talk to you using a cell phone.
    If it is only azinuth that has been affected then this could work.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the service visit is $50.00 without the protection plan, not $100.00

Best bet is to get DirecTV because it might not just be dish alignment. your dish may have been damaged by the ladder hitting the dish.

5. cmyers

cmyers New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    New York
    Well I got lucky, I went outside and moved the dish back to where I thought it was pointing before went into the house and had signal!

In fact my signal was better then I remember it being with a lot of transponders at 100 or 99!

I took a wrench and tightened down the bolts on the pole and I am happy.

I think I really got lucky!

Thanks guys!

6. May 1, 2013 #7 of 16
    Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    They do not charge 100.00 to come out it is 49.95 and with the pp it is free.

7. May 1, 2013 #8 of 16
    peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yep, just like in post # 4

8. May 1, 2013 #9 of 16
    peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  9. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Check your signal strength on 99c, and 103ca and 103cb...are those still in the 90s?

10. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Once in a while you get lucky and lining up the marred paint on the elevation bolts will get you back pretty close.

Had dirt marks on a membrane roof help me put a non-pen back, that was a big relief.

Happy to hear you weren't on the ladder when it went over, not a fun thing to see happen.

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There is got to be hurricane winds (60 mph +) in order for it to blow the ladder while you are working on it.

12. cmyers

cmyers New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    New York
    No there does not. I was getting ready to set the ladder up, I just raised it up and then the phone rang in the house so I left it standing resting against the house.and ran in to get the phone. It was not firmly planted for me to climb on yet.

Just glad that no damage was done and yes signal from all of the satellites is fine, thanks!

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    He was responding to the post saying that it was a good thing that you weren't on the ladder when it blew over. His point was that, with a person on a ladder it would take extremely high winds to blow it over. He wasn't questioning the fact that your ladder blew over, with lesser winds, while you weren't on it.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    EXACTLY my point

There is got to be hurricane winds (60 mph +) in order for it to blow the ladder while you are working on it.

15. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    As an installer I think it sounds like your dish was not tightened down very well. This may have been a blessing. If the dish had been tightened down and the ladder whacked up against it, it would have been possible that the arm could have been damaged from the strike. As it was, there was enough give that the dish rotated without damage and you were able to later put an undamaged dish back into the right position. The heavens were with you on this one.