1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Easy EHD question: FAT32 or NTFS?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by shortspark, Sep 20, 2008.

1. shortspark

shortspark Legend

Oct 25, 2006
    I have a 500gb WD Essentials EHD that is currently formatted to NTFS. It came as FAT32 but I reformatted it to NTFS because I was thinking of using it as a PC backup. Can someone tell me what my 622 will format this drive to if I decide to use it as a program archive and about how long it takes for the 622 to reformat if it needs to go back to FAT32? The EHD is currently empty.

2. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    It will reformat it. I don't think anyone officially has said what the format is but it is not FAT32 or NTFS.

3. TulsaOK

TulsaOK DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 23, 2004
    And, it's pretty quick.

4. EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO Godfather

Apr 6, 2007
    It will be formatted with some flavor of Linux. I believe.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It is formatted using Linux ext3. It normally takes a few minutes for the drive to be formatted and the encryption info to be put in place. If you're seeking more information you can read the posts on this Yahoo Group.

6. shortspark

shortspark Legend

Oct 25, 2006
    Thanks to all for the responses. The reason I asked was that perhaps I could reformat the thing faster on my PC if I knew what format was used by DISH. On second thought, maybe not since it took nearly three hours to reformat it the first time from Fat32 to NTFS.

7. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Fortunatly/unfortunatly it won't matter if you format it or not. As soon as you hook it up to DISH it will format it no matter what.

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, I had to do that to four drives last Christmas. What a drag.

9. Oct 4, 2008 #9 of 12
    tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Reformatting shouldn't really be slow. Conversion (saving the data) is slow. The more data the slower it is.

As stated the reformat to DISH to whatever format it is (linux ext3 apparently) is fairly fast and always done the first time a drive is attached to one of your receivers. Assuming household key you can then switch it between your various receivers.

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The Dish reformat isn't slow. But I reformatted four empty USB drives from FAT32 to NTFS to put family pictures and movies on to give to family members at Christmas. Man was that reformatting a slow process.:eek2:

11. shortspark

shortspark Legend

Oct 25, 2006
    Does anyone know what will happen regarding this reformatting by the dish dvr with partitions on the EHD? Will the whole drive be reformated?

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes.