1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy way to keep recordings when getting new DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mobamoba, Dec 15, 2012.

1. mobamoba

mobamoba Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    A tech came to my place recently and ended up replacing my HR20 (with an HR23 so nothing great) - one of the tuners was broken, so the HR20 was still bootable, it just couldn't record. When I told him I had a ton of recordings on my HR20 and didn't want to lose them, he told me - as in "hint hint" - that if a customer insisted they owned the DVR and refused to give it up to him, he'd just put that on his form and leave it with me. So that's what happened.

While I can't access any of my old series links and obviously can't record anything on the old HR20, I can still watch everything I've already recorded. Plus you can set it up such that the two DVRs receive different remote codes so there's no overlap between the two.

It was nice of the guy to mention it so I thought I'd pass it along here.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The HR20 is no longer being returned/recovered, so this would be the same for all, but NOT for the HR21 and newer.

3. mobamoba

mobamoba Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    No - the guy told me it wasn't about the model and that they had been told to pick up all DVRs regardless of age; he said the issue was about a customer putting up a fight so he would have something to put down on his paper for his supervisor about why the old DVR wasn't returned.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Well, he may have said that, but it's been maybe 10 months that the HR20 has no longer needed to be returned.

Yesterday I deactivated a leased DVR and will be charged if it doesn't get sent back.

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Obviously this will not work if the DVR has problems with more than just reception or recording, and most DVRs fail to the level of not being able to even boot or stay booted. But it is still possible; I had a DVR fail because it lost the ability to tune sats--the HDD was just fine and I got everything watched before I sent it back.

But there is also a time-out factor. Try to keep the addled DVR connected to the dish and activated if possible, which will prevent the time-out if it can still see the sats via the other tuner.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I think someone posted and said that if a tech replaces an HR20 they are still supposed to recover them. I imagine DirecTV has the techs recover them, and then ship them back to a DirecTV warehouse along with the other defective receivers. Then after DirecTV collects enough of the old HR20s they sends a bunch at a time to a recycler and get a bit of cash for them. But, they probably don't make enough off each receiver in scrap value to justify paying for a customer to ship one back to their warehouse, so they just let the customer dispose of them if they were just mailed a replacement.

I imagine what the installer means though, is if you want to finish watching the recordings, to insist that you own the DVR so the tech doesn't recover it (even if you know that you don't really own it). Then you can keep the DVR for a while and watch the recordings. After you get done watching the recordings you can call DirecTV and ask for a return box to be sent to you, then ship the box back to DirecTV so you don't get charged the NRF. However, in this particular case when he calls I'm sure the CSR will tell him that since it is an HR20 they don't want it and he won't have to send it back.