1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EBAY: Deals Gone Bad

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Lamutt, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 5, 2003 #1 of 27
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm currently in the middle of a bad situation in an ebay auction that I won (using buy it now no less). The auction was for an ATI Radeon 7200 AGP video card. I paid using paypal, and he shipped the package out to me the same day.

The problems started on Monday when the package arrived. The outer box was well taped, and the Radeon box inside was well packaged. There was no signs of tampering with the outer box. The radeon box was not shrinkwrapped, but he was upfront about that in the auction description. Here's a picture of what was inside the Radeon box:

Attached Files:

2. Feb 5, 2003 #2 of 27
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Definitely an ATI Radeon 7200 box. The card was in a static bag that had been torn in the middle - the seal on the ends of the bag were still intact.

Attached Files:

3. Feb 5, 2003 #3 of 27
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Pulled the card out of the static bag, and it was definitely not an ATI Radeon 7200. After some research, I discovered that it is actually an old (circa 1991) IBM token ring network adaptor card. Discovered this after searching on the model and serial number of the card.

The guy I bought this from asked me to leave him feedback when he sent me the card and if there were any problems to contact him before I left him feedback. The day he shipped it he left me postive feedback. Since Monday, I have tried several times to contact him, and he hasn't replied. I'm going to give him a couple more days to get back to me to resolve this, and then start the reporting process to ebay and to paypal.

Here's the link to the auction that I won: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2304618472

So, anyway, the reason for this thread (other than me venting!): What horror stories do you have with online auctions on ebay or other sites?

4. Feb 5, 2003 #4 of 27
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, my story is now on its way to a happy ending - I just got a response from this guy and he is going to refund my payment.

5. Feb 5, 2003 #5 of 27
    Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    What was his story?

6. Feb 5, 2003 #6 of 27
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I bought an Ampex ATR-700 tape machine on Ebay a while back. I was told that it was a half track stereo 7 1/2-15 IPS machine and that it would play back my old studio tapes just fine. When it arrived I discovered that it was in fact a full track mono low speed (1 3/4-3 1/2 IPS) logging machine formerly used in a radio station automation system. I paid in the area of $300 for this boat anchor, which was a good price for what I wanted. This model was available in several different formats, and I received one that was of no use to me. I contacted the seller. It appears that he was selling this for a friend and had no idea what he had. After a couple of calls, the seller arranged for return shipping and refunded my $$. I ended up getting a Tascam Model 42B a couple of weeks later that was in much better condition than the Ampex and would work for what I needed, so all turned out ok.

Attached Files:

7. Feb 5, 2003 #7 of 27
    Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    RKing401. That looks exactly like an
    Ampex r-to-r I used to edit newscasts,
    record interviews, etc back in the
    distant past of the 80's and 90's.
    I'm glad everything worked out for you.
    Perhaps a small radio station with
    ancient equipment would want the
    ATR-700 (like my former employer LOL!)

8. Feb 5, 2003 #8 of 27
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I have been refunded my full pruchase price now. His story was "There was a network card in there? Huh. Ok, I'll refund your money."

9. Feb 5, 2003 #9 of 27
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My problems have be dealing with Condition of stuff. People use the word "Excellent" condition or "Good Condition" rather arbitraily and I've gotten stuff that is worn or scratched while they call it good. But I guess that is the name of the game.

I had never heard about something like this. Some people are selling soooo much stuff on e-bay that it is impossible to keep track and those are the people you might want to avoid.

10. marko

marko Godfather

Jan 8, 2003
    Glad to see you got your money back.....

It find it sort of funny it was a token ring card... Trying to think of something else he could of sent you that would of been more worthless, but I think a token ring card takes the cake.

11. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    No doubt!

12. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Generally, have had good success, both as a buyer & seller. I've sold about 4 items, bought about 20 others...

The only "unresolved issue" / bad experience I've had was about 3 years ago. I won an auction for a PlayStation 1 game. Send out a money order. Never received the game in return.

Using the tracking number on the money order, to this day, the money order has not been cashed.

I'm dumbfounded...the seller was confused...

All in all, I chalk it up to the U.S. Postal Service, losing the business-letter sized envelope I sent the money order in. I didn't insure it (the auction was won for a whopping $17.50, I believe), as I didn't see need.

I'm still not sure what happened with that money order...I blame Postal Employee Newman.

--BearsFan

13. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    The time frame is about right. This "Ampex" machine is actually a slightly modified Teac A-7300, made by Teac for Ampex under contract. A very nice machine though and a good editing machine. I used to own the 7300 when it was new and one of the best "prosumer" machines on the market. Here's my old 7300 being used in a location recording job from about 1977 or so. Wow, am I aging myself. http://www.pbase.com/image/3371059 :D This machine had a built in 4 channel mic/line mixer which made it very handy for some of the location work I did occasionally. I did much editing (with a real razor blade) on this machine in it's day.

Here it is in the studio with my eight track (not that kind of eight track) machine. http://www.pbase.com/image/3371040

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I miss the real wood side-paneling on some of the old pro audio gear. I miss the family 'entertainment' center that housed a TV and a 'record changer' in a large wooden cabinet. I miss the smaller plastic TV we set on top of the old wooden console when its built-in TV went out and banging on the side or top no longer fixed it. I miss vertical and horizontal hold controls - not! :)

I miss driving a stick-shift I could actually repair myself.

Golly, Mary Jane, I sure do miss the 'good ole days!' :rolleyes:

15. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I've been waiting 6 days now to be paid for an item. I haven't shipped it to the buyer yet, of course. But it IS aggravating that I will probably have to put it back on ebay. I read last night that ebay will refund the listing fees since the buyer reneged. The buyer has failed to contact me in anyway. :(

Funny thing is, this buyer has about 100 positive reviews but mostly from just 2 different sellers. And this person has bought three items since my auction ended and has already received positive feedback on those 3 purchases. Don't know why this person hasn't contacted me, though. I've sent an invoice, then 2 followup emails. I realize things can happen, but being that this person has bought 3 things since mine, and has evidently already paid for those, I'm getting pissed!

Her perfect feedback record is about to be broken!

So what do you think is an acceptable waiting period?

16. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Send her a final email warning that you will post a negative feedback if she doesn't ante up within 5 days from the date of your final email.

17. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    JBKing - I think you've been more than patient already. I'd send one more email and give her until some time tomorrow.

18. STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    I just bought something for my motorcycle on ebay.
    Shipping was stated it would be $15.00. As SOON as I clicked "Buy it now" shipping turned into $19.50.
    What should I do if I find out that shipping isn't this high when I receive my purchase?

19. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Well alot of shipping is based on Continental US, so the shipping extra charge may be legit?

20. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Well, actually last night I gave her two days, then I would relist and I would be her first negative feedback.

Now, here's the funny part, about 1 hour after posting here I got an email from this her saying she would pay by paypal. Haven't seen payment yet, but maybe she saw my post here! ;) :D

Jim, sorry about your bad luck. :p Consider the extra $4.50 in shipping a small price to pay for living in an island paradise! :D
    Hell, I would have charged ya $50 shipping. BTW, if you see any X10 cameras in the ceiling, don't worry, and don't block the lens! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.