1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

eBay search

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, Nov 15, 2012.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    It no longer supports the "*" wildcard. That is a pain for me. I regularly search for access models HD1020, HD1050 and HD1080 tuner boxes, by searching for HD10*, but now, I would need to do three searches to get the same results. I know I have searched for truncated part numbers for other electronic products that are part of a series.

I also often searched for "mod*" for components that might be called modulators or might be called mini-mods, and you'd be surprised how may auctions I have found when a key title term was misspelled but I had only entered the first few letters of the term, followed by the asterisk.

Of course, with automotive parts, I might search for 198* brake parts for a 1980s vintage vehicle.

As best as I have determined, it will list plurals, so if I search for connector but some titles use the plural form, connectors, it does list them.

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Why do people have such a desire to get ripped off?

3. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I don't know what you mean. I have saved about $100,000 buying commercial electronics items for resale that were new in the box. I've also found and purchased lots of discontinued products that were unavailable anywhere else.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Buying something from eBay does not mean getting ripped off...you can be, sure. But it's no different from anything else.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Sounds like someone who has never used eBay or tried it once and had a bad experience. :rolleyes:

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Or someone who had experience both buying and selling as well as enough exposure to the rampant fraud on both sides and the investigations into it to know that the company isn't interested in stopping either. The company is not interested in protecting either buyer or seller, unless the seller is one of the larger quasi-retailers. The company protects the company to the point of gaming the system against both buyer and seller; ie banning sales that don't use PayPal which they also own and banning sales using legally accepted currency.