1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EchoStar Acquires Move Networks

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by phrelin, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 #1 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This is an Echostar news release:
    There's an interesting story headlined The Fall of Move Networks which outlines the nature of the technology they developed. It's possible that some of this technology might find its way onto Dish boxes.

2. Jan 7, 2011 #2 of 10
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Interesting is that a lot of Directv top managers now are ruling Move.

And... Not that promising ending of that article:
    Perhaps it was low hanging fruit for E* ?

3. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    They didn't buy Move for growth, they bought Move for the technology. This will be baked in to some future streaming product. In the meantime they will milk the revenue that they can for as long as they can.

4. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    the VIP receivers can already be used with IPTV service; I suppose the use of Move's technology would allow them to sell their IPTV service to providers whose networks have a lower bandwidth capacity than what is now required? Or just let them free up bandwidth on the existing network. Am I understanding the technology correctly? It looks like their encoding allows more flexibility for traffic hiccups.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Not in that full strength - limited IPTV processing happening for FVOD (night VOD downloads).

6. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    no, they work for IPTV.

http://www.echostarviptv.com/

the 'IP' in the 'VIP' series receivers is there for a reason.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Actually it is "ViP" not "VIP" and I don't see what and how DVR/receiver participating. Perhaps after IP to QAM or 8PSK conversion ?

8. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    they use the VIP series receivers for the IPTV service. there is no conversion to QAM, etc.. . , outside the receiver. It uses the ethernet connection of the receiver.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm guess that Xnnn version of FW are dedicated to such receivers. Can you acknowledge that ? Have you see what FW version it running ?

10. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    no i haven't.