1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EchoStar Details VOOM Asset Deal (Sorta)

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by Nick, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The news EchoStar had on its pending purchase of satellite assets that have been supporting the VOOM DBS service didn't amount to much Wednesday, but the company said it will work hard to get regulatory approval for the asset purchase in the next several months.

The VOOM asset purchase details were given during a "Charlie Chat" with retailers Wednesday. The companies involved in the transaction, EchoStar and VOOM's backer Cablevision, have to take their deal to the Federal Communications Commission for its blessing. The agreement between the companies includes the VOOM satellite - Rainbow 1 - at 61.5 degrees plus DBS frequencies at the orbital location.

Executives said during the chat that they don't have specific plans in place yet for the satellite.

SkyReport 1/27/05 Reprinted with permission

2. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    It basically was "we have no plans for the satellite....."

Which means they were like my wife and bought something becasue it was "on sale" and were gonna figure out what to do with it later........

3. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Good analogy, Bob. Nothing definitive yet about the unique HD channels either way. I'll miss 'em if they get flushed, which seems likely. :(

I hope this is one E* "merger" to which the FCC gives two thumbs up. :shrug:

4. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    old news

5. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    It was a reprint from a report of yesterday's retailer chat. Just because you read it in another forum doesn't mean it shouldn't be posted in this forum for the benefit of those interested in Voom who may not read the E* forum.

Kenny, if you have something of value to contribute, please feel free do so.

6. kwajr

kwajr Icon

Apr 7, 2004
    nick for once i side with you i read so much of this stuff i forget where i read it sometimes but it is old

7. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Thanks Nick, it might be old news to some, but not for me.