1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Echostar Looking to Acquire Sirius XM?

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by DustoMan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1 of 46
    DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
  2. Feb 5, 2009 #2 of 46
    xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    source; Orbitcast.com

Edited for possible copyright violation. More at the link below.

3. Feb 5, 2009 #3 of 46
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That's a mountain load of speculation there....

Put another way....a whole lotta ducks needed in a row...:D

4. Feb 5, 2009 #4 of 46
  5. Feb 5, 2009 #5 of 46
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
  6. Feb 5, 2009 #6 of 46
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    merged threads

7. Feb 5, 2009 #7 of 46
    haloguy628

haloguy628 Cool Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Ergen's EchoStar buys Sirius debt

From Denver Post

8. Feb 5, 2009 #8 of 46
    jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Charlie can use that three geostationary satellites.

9. Feb 5, 2009 #9 of 46
    BJK

BJK AllStar

Feb 20, 2007
    This also received mention on CNBC today.

BJK

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    There are more than 3 satellites. The XM side of Sirius XM had 4 satellites (Rock, Roll, Rhythm and Blues) and I think an on-ground spare. The Sirius side had at least 3 satellites in an inclined orbit and I don't know how many (if any) spares.

11. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
  12. rocatman

rocatman Icon

Nov 27, 2003
    Another factor is that Dish could gain launch slots this year for perhaps the E-14 and E-15 satellites. Sirius has a satellite scheduled to be launched on a Proton in early June of 2009 and XM has a tentative launch by Sea Launch at the end of this year. The current Sirius and XM satellites on-orbit are not that old, less than 10 years so a delay should not effect current services. It would all depend if Dish satellites would be ready to go. Dish could also allow the Nimiq 5 satellite to move up its launch date from early August to early June on the Proton and Dish could launch E-14 in early August. As a side note, the Sirius and XM satellites are S-band not Ku/DBS band. In addition, Dish has a S-band satellite in storage, the one that they were building for the Chinese to support the 2008 Summer Olympics that was never launched.

13. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Well Dish does have the Sirius radio channels, but Ken S for once I agree with you. This needs to be in the Sirius XM Forum first and if a thread is wanted in this Dish Site have one here as well. It's interesting Mr. King is a Dish customer and Dish's owner could be trying to wipe out Sirius XM which Mr. King also has. It certainly is a small world, isn't it? This is my one and only post in the Dish Forum. I'm not a Dish customer so I don't think I belong in this Forum. However, I am a Sirius XM
    customer and since this thread was moved here this is where I had to post.

14. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is terrific news! I am a Sirius-XM and DirecTV sub so if this happens I'll probably have Sirius-XM AND a new digital audio service on DirecTV. (You really don't think DirecTV will keep Sirius-XM audio channels if Echostar takes over do you? :D

15. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I hate to put this in the Dish Forum, but since the thread was moved here I have to post it here. Personally I think DirecTV had better keep it's eye on Charlie because at this point it isn't possible to really know what he is up to :rolleyes:

16. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Not that this is on topic, but this ended up here because there were links and stories posted in both forums. All posts got merged into the thread here since it is Echo "buying" SiriusXM, not the other way around. I also left a forwarding link in the other forum to this thread. (I'll go ahead and sticky that link if I can so that it doesn't roll off the page).

Back to the topic at hand.

Edit: can't sticky, but it won't roll off the page anytime soon.

17. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    That's why I sold my stock in Dish a while back. He's totally unpredictable and, I think, has been making some sirius (;)) mistakes lately.

18. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I am no expert, and would be interested in someone that is commenting, but there is no way to repurpose the XM or SSR system for video. And the FCC and CRTC would have to approve repurposing, and thus the shut down of XM or SSR, anyway. So a buy would not be of the sats, but of the, still grossly unprofitable, services.

If that is so, then good luck to him. The Market may just be saying that it does not have a critical acceptance number for SR in it.

19. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    Sirius is already doing video. The market already has enough numbers to make profit, the problem is the debt. If there was no debt(because of management mistakes over spending) satellite radio would be making a profit.

20. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    http://www.reuters.com/article/busi...20090209?feedType=nl&feedName=usbusinessearly
    Sirius got, and rebuffed, Ergen bid: report
    More...