1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EchoStar's DISH Network Adds 400,000 Net New Subscribers

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Scott Greczkowski, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 4, 2003 #1 of 14
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
  2. Mar 4, 2003 #2 of 14
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Live webcast of results takes place athttp://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=dish&script=2100 12:00 Eastern here:

3. Mar 4, 2003 #3 of 14
    DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
  4. Mar 4, 2003 #4 of 14
    RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    The loss is a one-time charge-off due to the failed merger. The comapny actually beat the street projections and gained a bit more market share on DirecTV in the DBS business.

Thus E* is still rated a "buy" by most analysts.

5. Mar 4, 2003 #5 of 14
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I bought...but I'm still in the red. :). Bought on the previous upswing at 28. Should have sold when it hit 70! But NOOOOOOOOO............ :D This is why when I went through Vegas last spring, I spent all of 10 hours there. No more or I would have been walking home.

See ya
    Tony

6. Mar 4, 2003 #6 of 14
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Actually, the stock is up $1.48 as I type this. Not bad for another terrible day in the market. The street liked the numbers.

Don't feel bad Tony, hind sight is always 20/20. :(

7. Mar 4, 2003 #7 of 14
    sorahl

sorahl Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Oct 24, 2002
    hehe, you could own AT&T and AT&T wireless stock!!

8. Mar 4, 2003 #8 of 14
    Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    Interesting call...

The Avg subscriber spends $50.30 on their Dish Network service each month.

It was said a few times "A Dollar Spent is a Dollar Spent" Charlie thinks that his employees should eat cheep foods and requests 3 per hotel room when going on business trips.

Charlie mentioned that a card swap is coming, but I don't expect it to be anything big as he mentioned that the next generation card is already in the field.

Charlie said that Echostar 9 will be up by this summer and it will carry HDTV? He said a larger dish will be needed.

Charlie did mention ESPN when he was listing off HD Channels which someone could get off satellite. Charlie feels that satellite will kick butt with HDTV.

When asked how many market Charlie would like to have this year, he mentioned DirecTV wanting to carry 100 markets and said it was not a bad number to aim for.

Charlie believes PVR's are revolutionary. Charlie was talking about Dish having the first HD PVR coming out later this year (the 921)

When asked about video on demand Charlie took defense and said he needs to find out if people really want that kind of functionality.

Charlie says Compitition is fun.

Charlie sounded more upbeat today then I have heard him in the last year.

DHP will be getting a bigger push in the 2nd half of the year.

Charlie would want broadband satellite to use the same DOCSIS standard that cable modems use.

Charlie says that the company runs better when he's not around then when he's there.

Charlie would like to see a standardization of locals between Dish and DirecTV. He says not much has been done since the merger failure between companies.

It was an interesting call and again Charlie was the most optomistic sounding I have heard him in a long time.

9. Mar 4, 2003 #9 of 14

He probably just signed a deal to sell ;)

10. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    You know I thought the same thing when he said the company runs better without him there. :D

11. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    He also said that now that he is back that they were going to go back to cramming three people to an office at the headquarters. I take a good amount of his comments about 3 to a hotel room, etc. with a very large grain of salt. If there is one thing that he does well in these little talks, it is the self deprecating humor thing.

It was certainly a very upbeat conference call. Good to hear him sounding so pleased. Just about every analyst in the place was tripping over themselves to congratulate him on the numbers and the year.

12. HJeff_R

HJeff_R Guest

/QUOTE He also said that now that he is back that they were going to go back to cramming three people to an office at the headquarters. I take a good amount of his comments about 3 to a hotel room, etc. with a very large grain of salt. If there is one thing that he does well in these little talks, it is the self deprecating humor thing.
    /QUOTE

Don't take too big a grain of salt...it's apparently very well known in the business world that Charlie cuts corners big time when it comes to corporate travel. An article in a newspaper or magazine a while back did a profile on Charlie and stated that he regularly would send his employees on redeye flights (coach), stacked 2-3 in a hotel room for business travel.

13. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Two to a room is a luxury for us in the not-for-profit sector do that all the time when going to scientific symposia. My per diem won't allow even the cheapest room in a major city.

14. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Hey, he LOST 600 million BUT continued to gain ground on D*. He kept Rupert away from D* for a few more years. D* still continues to hemmorrage money (the new Sunday Ticket deal didn't help their bottom line any), and Rupert is now playing hard ball trying to say he is in no rush to get D* at any cost. Meanwhile GM is staring at the self-imposed deadline to fund the pension plan that they planned on doing with the D* sale proceeds. For a stretch there, E* and D* had stopped raiding each other's customers openly and the sniping in ads back and forth had ceased.

Whichever way this goes, E* bought 2 years of relative calm as his greatest competitor was stuck in idle. Was it worth $600 million? Who knows, but I don't think of him as a "loser" in this deal. Being able to walk away from the PanAmSat commitment didn't hurt either as prices have fallen with the stock market price drops of the last two years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.