1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Economy and NFL

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by curt8403, Dec 10, 2008.

Should Directv drop The NFL Sunday Ticket

1. yes, it costs too much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, I cannot live without my football

60 vote(s)
    69.8%
  3. What! are you nuts???

26 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    Due to the economy being in such bad shape, would you support Directv dropping the NFL Sunday ticket?

2. kruegs

kruegs Legend

Feb 19, 2007
    Why would they do that? I don't see what bearing the economy has on a product (Sunday Ticket) that DirecTV offers?

3. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    they dropped Nascar, why not the NFL? :sure:

4. vikefan

vikefan Legend

Jan 20, 2008
    No

5. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Nascar is big, but nowhere near as big as NFL. I could see declining subs because of the economy but I would still offer it.

6. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    What's the point? You want it - you subscribe. You don't want it - you don;t subscribe. Seems simple enough.

7. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I chose numero 3, which isn't exactly correct, but kind of covers me. I think hte entertainment industry will continue increase since most folks will be home bounds instead of heading out for adventures.

8. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    DIRECTV pays a gianormous amount to be the exclusive home of the NFL Sunday Ticket. That money has to come from somewhere, the cost that customers pay probably does not begin to cover the costs/

9. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    For a few years I had ST but for those of us on a fixed income, the cost has grown to much. I pay about $150 a month now and that is getting harder and harder to pay. I may have to cut back on the number of reciever I have then programming may take hit. A lot depends on how much Directv increases sub cost in 2009.

10. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

perhaps if Directv totally dropped the NFL, they could save enough not to have to raise rates for one year???? (Nah - What am I thinking? )

11. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Considering that DIRECTV agreed to pay the NFL around $3.5 billion to keep the NFL Sunday ticket exclusive until 2010 I’m going to have to answer...

http://broadcastengineering.com/newsrooms/nfl-directv-extend-20041112

Pity I'm not a sports fan and could not give a rotund rodents rectum when it comes to the NFL Sunday Ticket.

12. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    No the cost of the package prbably doesn't cover it, although they get big money from bars and restaurants. The balance comes from the extra subs they have as a result of having it. So fewer subs means higher prices for everyone else.

But if I lived in a market that didn't shove the Bengals, Steelers and Redskins down my throat and got a national game once in a while, I might not see the need to subscribe. But until then, I am keeping it or going with whomever has it.

13. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Yes, a lot of subscribers are brought in by Sunday Ticket...and more subscribers puts DirecTV in a better position to negotiate with all content providers. I don't think having it is negatively impacting pricing for those who choose not to buy Sunday Ticket.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Don't look for NFL Ticket to go away before at least the existing contract expires...

15. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    funniest....poll....ever. :lol: :lol:

16. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Really? I can think of a couple of others that are much more funny-er! :lol:

17. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    DirecTV clearly feels that it is worth having Sunday Ticket and that either directly through Sunday Ticket subs or indirectly via adding new subs that wouldn't otherwise be there it pays for it's self. The economy might effect that but either way they have a contract through 2010 and wouldn't be dropping it until the current contract expires. I wouldn't underestimate the fact that Sunday ticket would seem to make DirecTV the default for any sort of sports bar.

On the other hand Sunday ticket might just get more popular. Yeah it's a lot of money for TV programing but it's still significantly cheaper than tickets for even a single NFL game.

18. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I misunderstood the poll :bang I don't think Directv should drop the NFL Sunday Ticket, but I think with the economy more and more people are going to drop the Ticket. I already did last year. And right now I don't even know if I'm going to be able to hang on to MLB. I'm lucky to have a lot of coverage in my local area to all the teams I like except baseball.

19. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

The NFL is not going away, it has way too much advertizing value for Directv. However I would expect that any sports package that does not pull it's own weight will be cancelled.

20. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Since the economy is in such bad shape, maybe DirecTV should just shut down completely... :confused: