1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

EHD not functioning with 211

Discussion in 'ViP211(411)/211K/222 Support Forum' started by servus56, Jan 24, 2012.

1. servus56

servus56 Cool Member

Nov 25, 2004
    I have used an EHD on my 211 for more than a year. This morning I was not able to access it via the remote control. There was no whirring sound, but rather a clicking sound in EHD. Did the EHD die because it was constantly spinning? Is this normal? I would appreciate your thoughts.

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    A clicking sound from the HD is almost always the kiss of death! :(

As to why it died, well that could be as you suggest or it just could be the luck of the draw.

Sorry to hear of your problem.

3. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    I have my EHD connected all the time. Have you tried unplugging the EHD from the receiver and plugging it back in? Hopefully your receiver will recognize the drive. Thanks.

4. Michael1

Michael1 Legend

Feb 24, 2010
    As Ray mentioned, the EHD is connected all the time, so spins all the time. Unfortunately, many of the disk drives on the market now don't have the best life, because the manufacturers know people are price sensitive. I used a Seagate Constellation for my EHD, which is a SATA server drive rated to run 24/7 for years. It cost twice as much as the cheapies, but I hate things breaking, and hate losing my recordings.

Clicking is a typically sign the drive died.

Michael