1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EHD Periodically Blank!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nKeith, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 6, 2010 #1 of 14
    nKeith

nKeith Mentor

Apr 20, 2008
    EHD associated with VIP622 is WD7500H.

Recently I find that when I attempt to access the EHD, I encounter one of these two problems:

(1) The EHD shows that it is not powered (although power is being supplied).

(2) When accessing the EHD (via VIP622), the file list is empty.

Either of these problems is readily corrected (if only temporarily) by disconnecting/reconnecting power at the back of the EHD.

However... One or the other of the problems will reappear at a later date. I am not sure if there is a particular on/off sequence that provokes the problem.

But, an immediate on/off of TV and VIP622 (following re-established functionality of EHD) does not provoke the problem.

Any ideas? Impending failure of either VIP622 or WD EHD?

2. Jul 6, 2010 #2 of 14
    TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    The ViP622's and EHD's sometimes don't play nice with each other. After having many issues with my 622, I finally upgraded to a 722 and problem solved.
    I don't think powering off the TV has any affect on the 622 or the EHD. Call Dish and explain the problem and you may get to upgrade at a reduced price. They should be aware of the 622/EHD issues.

3. Jul 6, 2010 #3 of 14
    nKeith

nKeith Mentor

Apr 20, 2008
    I'll wait a few more days and see what happens. If problem persists (as it most likely will), I'll give Dish a call.

Thanks.

4. Jul 6, 2010 #4 of 14
    koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    I had the same problems since I got my EHD. My solution was to use a wireless on/off switch that I had around. This way, I don't have to mess with disconnecting/connecting the hard drive every time this happens. Not a real solution but a workaround.

5. Jul 6, 2010 #5 of 14
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    My Seagate 1.5 TB does the same thing. I pull the USB cable, get the "You have disconnected..." message, say OK, reconnect, get the "You have connected..." message say of, manage external device and all the programs reappear.

Apparently the nightly reboot caused the 622 to forget where the TOC on the EHD is located.

So you say the 722 does not have the same issue?

6. Jul 6, 2010 #6 of 14
    RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006

I have to do the same thing every time I want to transfer or watch something on EHD.

7. Jul 6, 2010 #7 of 14
    TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I think there have been posts regarding the Seagate drives not "waking up" after spinning down. I don't see much of that with the Western Digital drives. All of my WD drives spring into action immediately upon access.

8. Jul 6, 2010 #8 of 14
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    My Seagate has no problems waking up (it used to but not since I have left it plugged in all the time). I can hear it spin up whenever I click on the DVR button, however i still get the blank program list (although I do see the space available displayed properly). That is why I said the 622 has problems finding the TOC on the EHD. The USB pull is the quickest remedy.

9. Jul 6, 2010 #9 of 14
    TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    My first, and only, 622 worked for quite a while with an external drive. Then, all of a sudden, I had a lot of problems such as you describe. Upgrading to a 722 solved all that.

10. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I don't think there is a TOC, on the EHD. The only files I find on an EHD are named bm, cat, tsp, and wtt. Each set of four files is in a subfolder with an eight hexadecimal digit name, within a folder named DishArc. I have seen no other files.

Example:
    I think the TOC is built every time you open "Manage My Media". Of course, it must keep some of the EHD information in memory so that it knows which partition on the EHD to move recordings to.

11. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    There has to be some sort of TOC on the EHD, otherwise how could you move the EHD from one receiver to another? My 622 was replaced. I have an EHD with programs that were recorded on the old unit. The replacement 622 sees those old recordings with no problem. If the TOC is stored on the 622, how did the new 622 see the old recordings without a TOC on the EHD?

I'm not well versed in Linux, but there has to be something that tells the 622 what programs exist and where the recordings are located.

12. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I have successfully copied recordings from one EHD to another. Nowhere did I copy a TOC of any kind, yet the process works, even with Windows networking and NTFS in between.

I think the information is all in the file cat, and possibly bm. The DVR builds the index in memory by reading all these files that are on the drive. That is why it takes so long to open "My Media" and it takes longer when more recordings are on the drive.

13. nKeith

nKeith Mentor

Apr 20, 2008
    I have found that this worked for me. Also, disconnecting/reconnecting power to EHD would also restore functionality. However, these "fixes" would hold only for a day or so.

But... Resetting the 622 (page 115 of manual) seems to have done the trick. The WD EHD now seems to show a full TOC every time I've checked over the last 4 or 5 days.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Strictly speaking 622/722's EHD doesn't have any VTOC or TOC (use here any specific name what means a kind of catalog ).

All that channels/recordings info scattered thru folders - one recording's BM & CAT per folder.