1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EHD Question

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by LtMunst, Feb 1, 2013.

1. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Is an EHD that has been paired with a Hopper still usable at all by other devices? I was considering using a portion of a 2TB drive connected to a Hopper for backing up some files from my PC on occasion.

#1..Will the PC recognize the drive as formatted/usable after it was paired with the Hopper?

#2..Will adding any files/folders to the drive from a PC cause problems with the Hopper?

2. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    :nono2: The formatting is different between Hopper use and PC use, so you can't use an EHD for both at the same time. When I needed to switch an EHD from DVR storage back to PC use, the PC had difficulty even seeing the drive, and when I found it, the PC reformats before it can be used.

You can move a DVR storage EHD to another Hopper on the same account (or in my case between a 622 and 722), but that's it.

Sorry.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    slight chance, only if you will use Linux with XFS support on your PC
    should work if you'll be careful and will not touch the DVR's folders/files

4. Stvbrtls

Stvbrtls New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    I currently have an EHD connected to my Dish 722VIP receiver. I am getting the Hopper next week. Will I be able to use the EHD from the 722VIP to watch the the movies that I currently have on the EHD? All help would be greatly appreciated.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yes

check the forum's sticky threads - you'll find a lot useful info for you ;)

6. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Yes

7. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    The EHD you use on your 722 receiver is compatible with the Hopper. You should transfer all your DVR content on the 722 to the EHD while the 722 receiver is still active on your account. Any transferred content while the receiver is deactivated will not work on the Hopper. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

8. Stvbrtls

Stvbrtls New Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks for the information.