1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Electrical Interfence with Signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by joseesq, Jul 30, 2013.

1. joseesq

joseesq New Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Los Angeles
    This is my first post. I have a DirectTV HD receiver with recessed lights recently installed in the same family room. After I turn on my recessed lights, the receiver loses the signal.

After I turn off the the signal returns. It only happens to HD channels when I get the interference and error code 771. Is power to the lights causing electrical interference?

As anyone experienced this problem? I want to isolate the problem before calling direct tv.

Any advice appreciated.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Typically a symptom of poor electrical ground, either with your lights or your DirecTV satellite cables. You really should have a qualified electrician take a look. This can be very difficult to troubleshoot yourself.

What model HD Receiver do you have?
    Do you have other Receivers/DVRs? Are they affected also?

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    could be bad F-connectors or damaged coax's shield somewhere, especially if it done inside of walls

4. joseesq

joseesq New Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Los Angeles
    The one HD receiver in the family room where the recessed lights are located is model H23-600. When the lights are on downstairs my HD/DVR upstairs also gets interference with model HR23-700. Same issue, when the recessed lights are on then both receivers lose signal intermittently. I saw somewhere where someone said to change the dimmer switch to a higher capacity /wattage rating. I haven't tried that one yet.

Is that a DirectTV installation problem or my contractor?

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Honestly it sounds like an electrical problem if it never occurs when the lights are off. You are not using fluorescent lights by chance either are you?

6. joseesq

joseesq New Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Los Angeles
    No, these are recessed LED lights on a dimmer switch.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd be looking at that dimmer. When fluorescent lights became available that could be used with a dimmer we had all kinds of problems at the place I worked at.

Rich

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why don't you do this: Take out the dimmer and put in a normal wall switch. That will answer any questions regarding the dimmer. If the problem goes away, you'll have to look for a different type of dimmer that won't interfere with the receiver. If I were you, that would be the first thing I'd do.

Rich

9. joseesq

joseesq New Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Thanks all. I'll try changing the dimmer first and report back.

10. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Keep us posted.

11. CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25 Mentor

Nov 4, 2007
    On a long...
    If it is your dimmer switch causing the issue, we just installed the Lutron Maestro from Lowe's in our house, and it works just fine with our can lights and HR44.

The remote control is really handy, too! My wife thought it was completely overkill, but after using it, she is sold on it!

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Great idea to narrow the issue.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Troubleshooting 101. :righton: (How come this wink is so good and this wink is so bad ;) ? Looks like a deformed 20 amp receptacle. :rolling: )

Rich

14. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Another way to troubleshoot, at least for wiring issues is to run the power to the dvr into a room with a different circuit than your cans use.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The way my house is wired (I didn't do it), it might still be the same circuit. But an extension cord to a known different circuit would still be easier than installing a switch. I do believe that I'd try that first. Either way, I think he'll find the dimmer is the problem. I really doubt it's a grounding problem. Shouldn't be an overloaded circuit problem either. I dunno, it's hard to troubleshoot without laying hands and eyes on the problem. Could be a loose neutral, who knows?

Rich

16. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Please remember contractors will ALWAYS use the cheapest product unless you select and pay for a better product.