1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Elementary

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Drucifer, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Dr. Watson being a Mets fan, made my night.

2. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Recorded the episode. Hope to watch it later today.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    This looks good, mostly because of Lucy Liu, but I'm going to wait and start watching later. Maybe even until the TV season is over, if it gets a 2nd season.

4. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Lucy Liu as Dr. Watson, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle must be spinning in his grave.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Using deductive logic, I have arrived at the conclusion that the title of this thread is misspelled.

It is "Elementary", my dear Watson.

6. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    I'd be much more interested if it had been the other way around - a brilliant but dysfunctional female Holmes and a loyal male Dr. Watson who struggles to keep up with his smarter mentor.

7. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Too bad Watson isn't the Thread Starter. :p

8. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    She truly was the only reason I would even think of watching, but even she is getting old.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I was surprise by her performance. It was decent for a change.

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Oh, jeez! Give me (and Lucy) a break! Don't even go there -- Lucy is still a 'hot chick' and I would welcome her into my life, such as it is. :confused:

11. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    Deductive reasoning reveals this will be a short lived series. I really wanted this one to be over quickly. If I didn't have my attention diverted by two football games I would have turned off the TV at the 15 minute mark. CBS has produced a number of hits in this time slot - this isn't one of them!

Once the initial production run is complete then bye bye!

12. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Watched it, liked it, but something tells me it may not last long.

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Watched it last night and loved it.

Jonny has a way of portraying his character that gives it believability and panache.

Lucy does a very good job with her character as well, although I think any competent actress could have done a similar job. Her days as Ling Woo are long gone so my guess is that she was probably cast to draw in an initial audience out of curiosity.

Will it last? I don't know ... but then again, I'm one of those who enjoyed the hell out of Human Target ... and you know where that got me.

I hope it does.

14. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Oh, I still think she is attractive. I am just Lucy Lui'ed out. Between her and Grace Park, can a guy get a new Asian chick actress.

15. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    We need Kelly Hu back on TV. :D

16. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Will give it a chance but it seemed to me like Monk, psych, mentalist and perception all rolled into one but on super fast forward.

17. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    Watched it tonight and was pleasantly surprised, it was better than I expected. But as CJ notes, it's so similar to many other current shows that people may not stay interested. Besides, CBS needs to come up with a drama that's different than CSI/NCIS, etc, etc. After awhile, they all start to sound the same.

18. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I am a big fan of the BBC show Sherlock. It's only run about 6 episodes so far but is, as the Brits say, Brilliant.

As in Elementary, Sherlock has a manic type personality with the underlying addiction. Watson is a messed up Doctor with issues but is deep down stable and tough.

Elementary seems to be concentrating a bit on Watson rather than Holmes.

I liked Elementary, but it is only about half as good as BBCs Sherlock. ...and how can Sherlock NOT live on 221B Baker Street?

19. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    For Elementary to succeed, IMHO, we'll need a good "back story" villain, like Mentalist has with Jane vs. Red John. I guess Moriarty's the obvious choice, if they can work him into the story.

+1. I pretty much have all the Sherlocks on DVD, dating back to Ronald Howard and Basil Rathbone. Up until now, the Granada series with Jeremy Brett has been my favorite, but Cumberbatch is giving him a run for the money. And the show's writers have done a masterful job bringing him into the 21st century. I'm really enjoying those.

OT, but PBS's Masterpiece Mystery is really an embarrassment of riches, IMHO. Morse, Lewis, Wallander, Foyle, Holmes, Poirot, Marple. I think I look forward to those as much (or more) as anything else I watch on TV.

20. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri

Every one a winner. Other great British shows are MI-5 and Frost. I have watched all that is available on Netflix and I am in total withdrawal. Wallander is a real winner in my book.

The biggest question I have is could Elementary sustain a large audience without the Sherlock and Watson names. I think they are betting that this gives the show instant credibility.