1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

elliptical dish question

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by JayeDVXIII, Feb 27, 2003.

1. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
    Hello

Is it possible to use the elliptical dish that is used by DirecTV's para todos system to get a better signal on Dish network?

And no, i'm not referring to the LNBS..i know you're supposed to use DISH network LNBs

J

2. PeterB

PeterB Legend

Jul 25, 2002
    the dish AND the LNBs work fine. The switches dont work with dishnet hardware.

Will you get a better signal than a dish 500? No.

3. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
    wait a minute, I don't understand this..why would that be? the surface area of the elliptical dish is a lot larger, so woudln't this "collect" more signal? I actually am in an area where i'm getting more than 100 on each bird ..HOWEVER..where I'm moving to..there are more trees that would be in the way, so collecting more signal is what I might want to do to improve my signal since I can't cut down the trees.

4. PeterB

PeterB Legend

Jul 25, 2002
    the dish is bigger because it has 3 focus points for 101/110/119 instead of 2 like the dish 500 for 110/119

5. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
    but this design would not collect more signal for the 110/119 orbital slots?

6. scaredpoet

scaredpoet Mentor

Jan 24, 2003
    It wouldn't. While you have a larger dish, the LNBs are still "looking" at the same amount of surface area, giving you no advantage.

7. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
    okay so how about using an FTA style Ku-band dish? These are still circular but are larger..sometimes up to 24inches in diamater.
    I dont know what the standard Dish500 measurement is

8. boba

boba Guest

You can use 24" dishes to improve the signal you would need two dishes 1 for 119 and 1 for 110 you also would need a SW=21 switch for each receiver if you bring both receivers with you. I can tell you from first hand experience that the DirecTV dish will work but it does not get any more signal than the DISH 500.

9. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
    Hrm...I would need two single disphro lnbs...i only have one TWIN dishpro LNB and one single DISHPRO Lnb for a wing sat

10. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I use 2-24" dishes for 119 and 110, and a 35" dish for 61.5. I did it to cut down on rain fade. I have not had rain fade in the year I have had the larger dishes. I get 125 on a lot of channels.

11. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    how about a c-band dish with a adapter from skyvision for dbs, such as a 10' fiberglass or an 8' mesh?

12. JayeDVXIII

JayeDVXIII AllStar

Jan 30, 2003
    LOL, sorry, I dont have the room for a C-Band dish...btw..why do C-Band dishes have holes in them!??!?! Doesn't this mean signal loss? Also, their LNB isn't shaped like ours..it looks like its pointing outward instead of inward..how do they get their signal?

13. PeterB

PeterB Legend

Jul 25, 2002
    The frequencies dont "see" the holes, they reflect off the surface area of the mesh.

and the LNBs are pointing inward just like DBS dishes, the big part on the end is just a cover, for the feedhorn and LNB assembly.

14. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    More to the point, radio waves do not pass through any holes in metal smaller than 1/2 the wavelength. This is why watching your microwave oven cook popcorn doesn't cause your face to cook the same way.