1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email from Dish about debit cards

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by obrienaj, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 7, 2005 #1 of 20
    obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    I just received thsi email from Dish, I'm baffled by it.

June 8, 2005
    DISH Network Offers Debit Bill Pay - Please Read

With the improvement in payment options, DISH Network would like to introduce Debit Bill Pay! We can now process the debit/check card you are using for recurring payments through the debit network. It is safe, secure and easy, and we will give you a credit of $3.99, the value of a Pay-per-view movie, for choosing this option.

If you would like DISH Network to process your debit/check card as a credit card, please email us at DebitBillPay@echostar.com. Please include your DISH Network account number in the subject line for proper processing.

Otherwise, we will set up your payment method as a debit transaction and apply the one-time $3.99 credit to your monthly statement.

Again, thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer. We appreciate your business and look forward to providing you the lowest priced all-digital service.

Sincerely,
    DISH Network

*If no reply is received within 30 days DISH Network will process your debit check card via "Debit Bill Pay" method.

I've been using a debit card for auto-pay for the years, so what is new abou this? Maybe I am missing something.

2. Jun 7, 2005 #2 of 20
    lazaruspup

lazaruspup Godfather

Mar 18, 2005
    There are two types of cards.... debit cards that use the actual MAC, CIRRUS, and other debit networks for processing. Then there are the check cards which have VISA/MC labels and process a debit from your account through the VISA/MC networks. DISH is saying they can now process your ATM debit card through them, I assume that before like many businesses they could not.

3. Jun 7, 2005 #3 of 20
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    It's probably a scam. I don't think they can up & change your billing/payment method just like that.

4. Jun 7, 2005 #4 of 20
    jsuboh

jsuboh Cool Member

Jun 7, 2005
    FYI, in most cases when you pay with a Credit Card, the vendor is responsible for the service cost. When you pay with a Debit Card, you may be responsible for the service charge.

My first post :)

5. Jun 7, 2005 #5 of 20
    finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    The other comment I get is, your bank will cover you if the card is stolen. What is never mentioned is that the bank will NOT cover the bounced check charges that you incur from all the vendors whose checks you bounced because someone cleaned out your checking account. With a credit card, you don't have to worry about that.

I've never understood why people prefer debit over credit cards - with credit you get the float and have almost no risk and if there's a problem (stolen) the credit card co. will chase it down. With a debit card, they take your $$ now, the vendor may charge YOU a fee (some do) for the use and your account can get wiped out and you have to go through all the hassle of cleaning up the mess with bounced check charges.

6. Jun 7, 2005 #6 of 20
    NeedleArtist

NeedleArtist New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Here's the response I just set to Dish regarding the email message ...

Charlie –

Oh Boy!!! Let me make sure I’ve got this straight … you want my permission to start billing my monthly payments as debit transactions instead of as VISA/MC transactions, presumably in order to avoid the approx. 3% VISA/MC commission you’re currently paying the card issuer? And in exchange for this $43 per year cost reduction (err, PURE PROFIT INCREASE) for you, you’ve decided to be a real swell guy and offer up a whopping ONE-TIME $3.99 “Thank You???”

But wait … because my bank charges me 25 cents when I use my card as a debit card when it CAN be used as a Credit Card, we first have to subtract from that $3.99 windfall the $3.00 in additional fees that I will be paying (for this first year – I certainly don’t intend to still be a dish customer past that point in time), so my actual “benefit” for the first year is 99 cents. Hmmm … I must have figured that incorrectly … certainly no “customer oriented” company would ever consider a 40:1 benefit ratio (that’s 40 for you and 1 for me) to be even remotely fair.

I’ve been with Dish Network for many, many years. I’m a high-tier, $120.00/month customer. I subscribe to the AEP, HD Pack, Locals, 4 receivers. I once proudly sang Dish Network’s praises and have steered countless customers your way. Burt enough is enough! I’ve put up with the continual price increases; the perpetual nickel & diming. I was forced to subscribe to locals I DIDN’T NEED OR WANT just to get a guide that was long promised as a feature and a big selling point in my decision to fork over $1000 for a receiver that hasn’t worked correctly since the day I bought it. I’ve put up with the daily reboots, the endless software “fixes”, the missed recordings, the broken promises (i.e., no firewire/DishLink), the dearth of HD (due to a lack of compelling content, naturally), the decision to switch to a new encoding format that will render my $1000 box virtually useless in the near term. Your track record over the past few years leaves no doubt in my mind I’m ultimately going to get screwed there as well.

As insignificant as it may seem (in comparison to the more substantive complaints already mentioned), this, your most recent “OFFER” of a $3.99 reward is truly the last straw that has broken this camel’s back. You pushed one time to many and I’m tired of turning the other cheek.

We (the customers) were once treated with respect. In the beginning, Charlie Chats were truly a two-way street. We had questions and you answered them. You listened to our complaints and to our suggestions. You treated us as thinking adults, and as investments that were worth hanging onto. Somewhere along the line that changed … existing customers are the red-headed ******* stepchildren; our calls to Chats are carefully screened out; all emphasis is on increasing new subscribers.

I’m currently a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and have been away from home for awhile. Due to my absence and the fact that I have an electronics-challenged spouse, I am unable to terminate my subscription at this time. However, in two months time I will retire from the Army and return home to family. I can assure you that one of my first orders of business will be to drop Dish like a hot potato.

So, in closing the answer to your request is HELL NO. You may NOT begin billing my account as a debit card. Clear enough?

Ingo C. Schoeppler

ingo.schoeppler@us.army.mil

Acct. #XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ps. The last time I checked, a PIN entry was required whenever I use my card as a debit card. As far as I’m aware, you do not have my PIN number. In light of this clearly unambiguous denial to your request, should my account nevertheless be billed as a debit charge, you can be quiet certain of the fact that I will promptly report it to my bank and local police department as a fraudulent charge.

7. Jun 7, 2005 #7 of 20
    garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Way to go Ingo! Right on!

8. Jun 7, 2005 #8 of 20
    KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005

No, no, Please tell us how you really feel.

9. Jun 7, 2005 #9 of 20
    pbrown

pbrown Legend

May 23, 2002
    As poorly designed and written as that was, I thought it was a scam email. If you notice on the links, only one of them actually goes to an echostar.com domain. The rest go cryptically to a domain called rm04.net. This is a typical M.O. on a spoof email you might get from a spammer posing as a bank. I am very suspicious, but if anyone can confirm it's really from Dish, I'd love to hear that.

10. NeedleArtist

NeedleArtist New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    It's real. I spoke with Dish customer service 10 mins. ago and they confirmed it.

11. BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    Avoid the charges and hassle by using MyCheckFree.com to pay your Dish account. Signing up is easy, and the service is free, secure and your payments are guaranteed. You choose the date each month that you want your payment debited from your checking account. Payments are transmitted electronically to Dish and typically post in one to two business days. In exchange for this free service, you agree to receive an electronic bill (e-bill) from Dish. With Dish, you'll also continue to receive your paper statements just as before. All you need to get started is a checking account and an e-mail account.

There are lots of other national and regional billers beside Dish that you can pay from MyCheckFree.com, and some even accept credit card payments. Also, many banks offer e-bills at no or little charge to their customers. To see if your bank offers e-bills and to learn more about paying bills online, see E. Bill Place at www.ebillplace.com.

12. JohnT

JohnT New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Dish can now process payments through the STAR ATM network as an ATM transaction. A small category of merchants can process ATM transactions through this network without a PIN. Dish falls into the "utility" category, so they qualify (insurance companies, lenders, schools, and the government are the other categories). More info here: http://www.star.com/?go=prodServ.showProdServ&id=11

In the center of the page, right above "More Information", there's a link that will take you to the participating merchants. Click it, scroll down to Colorado, and you'll see "EchoStar Satellite LLC".

They can process any debit card that has one of these logos on the back: STAR, HONOR, Explore, MAC, Cash Station, MOST, Alert, Express, Via, BankMate or Cactus.

The big advantage to them is cost. This type of transaction probably costs them about 20 cents, versus 3% plus 20 cents for a Visa/MasterCard transaction.

13. NeedleArtist

NeedleArtist New Member

Feb 1, 2004

For what it's worth, I just went back through some older emails from Dish Network (the monthly newsletters and info notices informing me bill is ready for viewing - yeah, I know, I file and keep a lot of junk) and all of them contain multiple links to the domain you reference, rm04.net.

14. joe2340

joe2340 New Member

Jun 6, 2005
    I'm a little confused with what your problem is. Seems like you making something out of nothing. Anyone ever think that maybe Dish is trying to save money so they don't have to pass on costs to us again or adding another convienence for some .They didn't say in that letter they were dropping your type of payment.

You say "I've been using a debit card for auto-pay for the years", Well you still can,all they asked was if you want to keep on using that service is to email them, big deal.

I bet once you find out what cable costs you won't drop Dish, and if you ever experienced Direct you definetly won't switch away from Dish.

You know they do warranty their receivers so if it's been problematic maybe you should call them and get a replacement.

Don't over think it and keep cool. Getting upset at them isn't going to do anything except drive you nuts.
    Oh a little advice, you shouldn't include your email address when you post.

15. toomuchtv

toomuchtv Godfather

May 17, 2002
    Mine included my acct. # so I had no reason to think it was a phony. I'm still trying to decide which way to go. We didn't realize it wasn't being treated as a debit transaction anyway. AFIK, my bank doesn't charge me a fee for these transactions, so I don't know what difference I would see.

16. speedy882001

speedy882001 AllStar

Dec 17, 2002
    Using debit cards over credit allows you to only spend money you have now. This stops you from running into the CC trap of spending money that you do not have and before you know it you owe $1000's to a CC with interest.

I agree, if you pay off the card each month it is the way to go but my wife and I have fell into the CC trap in the past when one spends money that we think is extra when it really was to go to pay off a CC.

17. derwin0

derwin0 Icon

Jan 31, 2005
    I actually prefer running mine through as a debit instead of credit. (Sprint PCS has been doing this for a while). The transaction goes through quicker (instantly as debit, couple days as credit), and I don't have to worry about anything bouncing.
    Fortunately my bank (Wachovia) does not charge anything for debit and/or credit. Whevener they start hitting me with a debit fee, it will be time for a new bank.

btw, I only use the Debit Card for things like Brick & Morter Stores or Utilities/Bills (Dish falls into this catagory). I use a real MC/Visa for anything ordered over the net and/or phone, where ever there is any possible chance of ripoffs (and airline tickets in case the airline goes bust).

18. the_bear

the_bear Godfather

Oct 18, 2004
    This seems to a switch from debit card processing using Visa to debit card processing using Star. This only effects people using Visa/MC debit. It does not effect people using a credit card, since there is no way for Star to process a credit card. I would guess E has been able to negotiated a Visa transaction rate bellow %2 and a Star rate bellow $0.20. It is a common practice for banks to charge customers for Star transactions. I personally never use my debit card, but if I did I certainly would not put up with a bank charging me.

19. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Agreed. If we didn't pay off our cards every month, my worry would be that all the debit transactions were entered so that we didn't overdraw. Sometimes my wife doesn't enter the checks she writes in the register. If we went to a debit system, I can just imagine the "forgotten" entries. :lol:

20. Hoobastank

Hoobastank Legend

Mar 9, 2004
    Good God, you really sent that? Why?? They're not going to actually read it and give two sh*%$ about it.

I agree with someone else, they are probably just trying to save a few bucks, as a lot of retailers are starting to do, and that is pushing people to use debit instead of credit to save money. If you think about it, it actually does save the customer in the long run by not passing along as many price increases.

As if anyone is going to give two sh#&$ about this post either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.