1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EMAIL: "Limited time exclusive offer for you"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by El Gabito, Jul 24, 2012.

1. El Gabito

El Gabito AllStar

Apr 24, 2006
    I've gotten this email more than once lately - but when I click on any of the links it doesn't take me to any special offer. Just my account screen. I click on equipment, same old stuff, same prices. Nothing about a "Free Upgrade"

Has anyone else received this? What is it about?!

2. sbtyper

sbtyper New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Yep just got it also. Was interested in getting the HR34 but when you click on link it doesnt get you anywhere.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I was recently offered a free DVR upgrade on my account, but it was just the standard HD DVR. This is probably what you got, and depending on what you currently have, it could be an upgrade, downgrade or same. Luck of the draw.

I doubt the offer was actually for an HR34.

4. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I've received it twice now in two weeks. It's very confusing to say the least.

There are 4 or 5 links in the email saying there is a free upgrade for me, and they all link to my account. There is nothing about the offer there.

I cannot figure out what the upgrade is for. :grin:

5. El Gabito

El Gabito AllStar

Apr 24, 2006
    Marketing people need to get their head on straight.

I have an HR22 and an HR24. Not much "upgrading" they can do except HMC/HR34.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    DirecTv's definition of an upgrade is adding an old DVR to your existing equipment, so they can get $6 more a month and lock you into a 2 yr contract.

A true upgrade would be a new DVR or HMC.

7. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    They decide what is considered an upgrade, not you. It's a lease. You have no right to free vs used equipment choices unless you secure one for yourself.

8. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Besides. An "old" DVR on my account WOULD be an upgrade over the new receiver I have.

Kind of ironic. I would take whatever they send me if I could get that free dvr upgrade offer yet the people that DO get it complain because it's not an HR34.

9. mlyles

mlyles Mentor

Sep 19, 2006
    When I login to my account on DirecTV's site, I get a "Loyal Customer Offer" - Upgrade to a HD DVR for FREE! Is this for real, no catch? I currently have one HD DVR (HR-21) and one HD box (H21). If I click the Upgrade Now, will they give me a HD DVR to replace the H21? If so, I assume I'll have to return the H21?

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, there would be a shipping charge ($20), and would come with a two year contract. You don't have to return the H21, you can keep it, but your monthly bill would have an extra $6 fee if you did.

11. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009

My conversation with a CSR was that they will come out there to install the dvr for free and pick up the old receiver at the same time. Or like he said, they will gladly charge you for the third receiver if you want to keep it.

12. nonparity

nonparity New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I got one of those emails yesterday too but when I login I don't have an offer.

I was actually thinking of adding a second dvr so this may be a good deal if I can actually get it.

Has anyone tried calling dtv to get the offer if it wasn't in the account?

I may end up doing that tomorrow...

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I had gone into my offer and it was $50 install or $20 shipping. If I were actually interested, it's possible that would be negotiable, but I would have no interest in an installer coming out.

14. rcodey

rcodey AllStar

May 28, 2007
    I received the e-mail offer and called Directv. They said they would give me a free HR34 to replace my HD Dvrs. I passed.

15. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    Those getting this email, go to your account, click "your equipment", under the list is links to add receivers to your cart, see what price shows up for HD dvr in your cart?

16. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    Not true, unless the wording is "free upgrade to your device" device is the key word here, adding another unit to your account is a "free upgrade yo your account", since it is an additional device added to your account at no upfront cost to you, monthly reoccurring is not mentioned as being free.

17. tvropro

tvropro AllStar

Nov 3, 2010
    I would watch out for contract extensions with any free upgrade offers. Call Direct and ask them outright if this adds an extension or a new contract to your account before biting. I have done that before and when they say yes I decline the offer. I'm now contract free and want to keep it that way:)

18. flaguy

flaguy AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    I took the "free" upgrade from a H24 to an HR24. I love the extra recording space. Of course, the upgrade is just to get you hooked to a new 2-year deal. I don't care because I have no plan to leave DTV because I'm hooked on Sunday Ticket. The "free" part includes a $49 install fee. They will not ship the box to you, you have to have it installed. Wasn't that a big job? LOL

19. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I've gotten the same offer twice in three weeks. I'm in no hurry to take advantage since I already have more boxes than I can use (I have three owned units currently deactivated). Interesting that in your case they wouldn't ship the box. In my case they will, but they charge $19.95 or something to do it.

20. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    They would almost have to give me free service for 2 years before I'd sign another commitment.