1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails and phone messages from Dish say the opposite

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by janeslogin, Feb 16, 2011.

1. janeslogin

janeslogin Legend

Dec 13, 2006
    [Earlier I reported here that we had to discontinue Dish for financial reasons. Age related health care cost mostly.]

Now Dish is sending conflicting messages. They are leaving phone messages saying the hardware must be returned in boxes sent and the emails say that the hardware is obsolete and just return the card in the envelope sent. [The hardware is a four year old 625 that has never performed well and the remotes are six years old and worn out.]

Which should I believe?

2. NickF DISH

NickF DISH Guest

Dec 28, 2010
    You would need to return the 625. The model of receiver that is obsolete now is the 301 so we only require the smart card to be returned. Did you receive a box for the receiver or just the envelope?

3. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Is that a step towards phasing out QPSK receivers?

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    In a sense. For a while now, Dish stopped replacing old legacy receivers with like models (4900 for 4900, for example), and instead replaced them with 301/311 models when they died under the Service Plan. The legacy receivers are just too old and unreliable to ship out any more, so they were scrapped, and Dish isn't paying to recover them anymore.

And now, Dish has extended that to the 301 model, for much the same reason. They are old, and a large number of the ones being returned can't be sent out again, so paying to ship them back is a loss. Over time, more and more receivers will be added to that list (IMO, all of the 501/508/510 DVRs should be on it now).

5. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    About 6 weeks ago when I upgraded to the 722k, Dish sent me a return box for my 10-year-old 3900. I was surprised that something that old was interesting to them.

6. janeslogin

janeslogin Legend

Dec 13, 2006
    I finally got the box today [They disconnected me on the 11th.]

The instructions in the box say to remove something from the roof. I am 74 years old and can hardly walk let alone climb and I am out in the desert an hour east of the city. What will it cost me if I don't return the gadget from the roof?

7. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    Call them and tell them your sitution. If you explain it to them they should waive the return of the LNB on the roof.

8. janeslogin

janeslogin Legend

Dec 13, 2006
    Thanks. I got phone permission to not return LNB. Even quickly got to a courteous CSR who gave me a name and his ID number.