1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Encore Classics and Encore Black

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Dec 3, 2013 #1 of 19
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I got a call tonight from a friend that has Direct TV and he reports that Encore has two new channels. Probably in line with Westerns, Drama, etc. Encore Classics and Encore Black. Are we going to get these two? Encore Classics seems to run a lot of old TV shows like Encore Westerns. Does anyone know? Thanks.

2. Dec 3, 2013 #2 of 19
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Encore Black is a rework of Encore Drama, Encore Classics is a rework of Encore Love. DISH has drama and love (channels 345 and 346). They have not renamed the guide yet.

3. Dec 3, 2013 #3 of 19
    APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    Watch out for rebranding!

It's what some cable networks do best.

:)

4. Dec 3, 2013 #4 of 19
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    The Encore channels are in the AT 250 Package and Everything Package. Hopefully Dish can the rest of the Encore channels in HD soon.

5. Dec 3, 2013 #5 of 19
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Thanks for the info. I am glad we have the two channels, but I wish Dish would be quicker on rebranding the channels.

Patrick

6. Dec 3, 2013 #6 of 19
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We're still waiting for Al Jazeera America to replace Current TV - in the guide. :)

7. Dec 3, 2013 #7 of 19
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Al Jazeera we were discussing a while back and as you noted, it is still listed as Current TV. Hopefully Dish will get busy and relabel all 3 channels.

8. Dec 9, 2013 #8 of 19
    tuck2694

tuck2694 Mentor

Aug 13, 2004
    Dear Dish,

I would like you to provide to your customers, Encore channels in HD.

Thank you,
    Faithful Multi-year Customer

9. Dec 9, 2013 #9 of 19
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I agree I which all of the Encores were in HD.

10. dbspr

dbspr AllStar

May 16, 2008
    and ENCORE en ESPANOL in HD.

11. corbeaukt

corbeaukt New Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Joplin, MO, USA
    Hooray! I noticed yesterday, Sunday, that Current TV is finally listed as Al Jazeera America!

12. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Yep they finally changed that back on Dec 4th, it did take them a while.

13. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Encore Espanol doesn't have an HD feed. The only Encore channels with HD feeds are Encore, Encore Action, Encore Black, Encore Classic and Encore Suspense.

14. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Encore is cheaper than STARZ that's for sure. That's why canceled STARZ.

15. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I like the variety of all of the Encore channels running a mix of older movies and TV shows.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Nothing lasts forever. I considered Encore a movie channel package. Long blocks of old TV shows is something I'd expect on TV Land or Nick @ Nite. I suppose channels adapt or die but seeing more channels change their purpose makes me wonder which will be the next channel to change.

17. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    James, that is because there are too many channels chasing too little programming material, we get more channels but the crap ratio goes way up.

Same is true with HD channels, the number of "HD" channels has burgeoned but the HD programming has taken a serious nosedive, half of what we already have is not worth watching.

We need fewer channels, fewer HD channels and better quality.

Gone are the days where a distributor like Dish or Direct can boast of having more channels that whomever - WHO CARES - 4hours of programming repeated 6 times a day is not worth the money and neither is most of the other dumb stuff we are assaulted with.

Looking at a typical week, I probably actually watch 10 hours of programming and for that I pay about $100 per month. Others in the house watch some of the same, some different programming, but it is becoming more evident to me that the price is too high and the quality is too low.

Even decent shows (a BBC recycle) that I watch like "Wheeler Dealers" are now recycling their older shows and hyping them as "classics", re-editing them to spread things thinner.

18. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    It is nice to have the old TV shows without commercials though.

19. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    AMEN to that.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who views this "re branding" [ come on people, it's just a cheappie out] as a downgrade of a movie package.

I also agree with jim5506 regarding the crap ratio.

As I flip through my favorites list [ in the 250 package] I wonder why I even sub to this package as there is very limited quality programming there, and it is getting narrower.

All this and dish is upping the sub fees. Well, time is comming to scale back, just like Encore, and it's crappy tvland reruns.