1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encore/TCM--do they broadcast in HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Everyperson, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everyperson

Everyperson AllStar

Nov 26, 2006
    Is there a list that shows which channels have the ability to broadcast in HD? I sure would like Encore and TCM in HD.

2. dtrell

dtrell Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    neither have an HD version available.

3. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    Why would you want a channel that shows older movies taped in SD on an HD channel? There would be no point. None of their programming would be in HD ever.

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Anything filmed (as opposed to taped) could be mastered in HD and look great, couldn't they? I have seen older movies on MGMHD and they look very good.

5. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Amen!

6. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    Normally though they end up looking like TBS or TNT HD do when they upconvert.

7. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    What is sad is that original film copies of most of the old movies are gone. There has been an effort to restore many old movies but these restorations have been only done on the better known movies. Restorations are very expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_preservation

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Some "legitimate" HD channels actually do 35mm film chain transfers and they can look very good. Even the black and white stuff. The problem with your TNT and TBS channels is that they're not real big on doing proper transfers and opt for delivering carnival mirror versions of otherwise good movies with dozens of commercials inserted.

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    LOL! I've never heard it put that way, but I like it!

10. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    TBS and TNT end up looking like that because they do not broadcast the HD versions, not because it can't be done. The other offenders are A&E and History. For the most part, other broadcasters figured out how to show things OAR

There is a difference between "up converting" an SD signal and remastering a film to HD. TNT does about half and half. TBS just upconverts and stretches for the most part.

But channels like Cinemax, and FilmFest take older movies and remaster them (or at least buy remastered movies) in then broadcast them in HD.

TCM has always been an advocate for Original Aspect Ratio, so if and when there is an HD version of the channel unless there is a shift in their current business model, they will continue to show movies OAR.

See ya
    Tony

11. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    That will be great if they show things OAR, but does TCM fall under the same guy who is forcing the 'carnival mirror versions' currently being broadcast on TNT and TBS?

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Starz/Encore ceased the Encore HD feed a few years ago. Voom was the only provider to offer it, when they went belly up the feed was discontinued.

13. Everyperson

Everyperson AllStar

Nov 26, 2006
    Since TCM has done major restorations of classic films I thought that they would have HD. Actually I read that they were planning HD and would continue showing all films in OAR. Their "vault" contains some of the finest films ever made and seeing these in sharper/cleaner/OAR HD would just add to the enjoyment of these classic movies.

Of course my wife would like QVC HD!!

14. Billsfan69

Billsfan69 Legend

Nov 9, 2007
    Agreed. MGM has restored older movies and from what I have seen, they look great, so if TCM were to do it right their movies would look great also. Of course there is the issue of TCM standing for Turner Classic Movies, you know from the same family as TBS and TNT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.