1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Encore's lack of HD, are they being cheap or lack HD sourcers

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by ARKDTVfan, Jan 4, 2013.

1. ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan Icon

May 19, 2003
    I notice quite a few movies on Encore HD are in 4:3 SD
    the HBO's/Max's, Showtimes, TMCs and other movie channels don't have this problem
    are they being cheap or do the not have certain movie to show in HD:nono2:

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Which movies?

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I haven't seen any non-HD on Encore in a while... or that I can remember. Sometimes movies really are 4:3 in proper aspect... so maybe that is what the thread starter is talking about?

4. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I think you have to view this through the prism of Encore not being a stand-alone pay service, but a supplement to Starz, who has about the same number of HD channels as other pay services (more than some), and who for a long time had more than anyone else on DTV.

Also, Encore is not positioned as blockbusters plus movies from the past few years as much as it is positioned as movies from the 70's forward minus anything new. In 2010-2013 it makes sense that we are in a position where new and recent movies get telecined to HD while older movies, with their ability to generate revenue comparatively diminished, have to wait in line. And that probably somewhat explains why the other channels in the Encore package are not HD at all.

So I do not find that Encore has fewer HD movies than HBO at all surprising.