1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End Distant Network Service Regulation PLEASE

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by Rob37, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Feb 8, 2017 #1 of 12
    Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Anyone think it is time for Distant Network Service Regulation to end? With a new President in office promising to De-Regulate many things I think it is time Satellite Subscribers be allowed to subscribe to Distant Network Affiliates (ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX) in addition to receiving their local networks. It's time to start allowing us to view other markets if we so choose to do so.

Troch2002 and camo like this.
  2. Feb 8, 2017 #2 of 12
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No. And I sooner expect dns to not be available at all before it's available to everyone. Don't confuse this issue as something government is keeping from happening. It's every station in the country that doesn't want it so it will never happen.

KyL416 likes this.
  3. Feb 8, 2017 #3 of 12
    texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, this isn't a government issue, it's a contract issue. Your local network affiliate has a contract making them the sole provider of the network in your DMA. They pay for that, so you can't have another network affilaite delivering the same programming.

KyL416 likes this.
  4. Feb 8, 2017 #4 of 12
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Very doubtful as DNS must be available for the Mobil market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Feb 8, 2017 #5 of 12
    Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Yes but when the retransmission agreement expires for many of these network channels many people lose some of these network channels for long periods of time. It is a matter of choice and I think it is time to let us have that choice whether or not we want to subscribe to Distant Network Channels.

6. Feb 9, 2017 #6 of 12
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe you are misunderstanding the Distants law.

The current law is a permissive law that allows satellite providers to deliver out of market network affiliates under certain conditions.
    If the current law was removed there would be no distants. Out of market stations would not be allowed unless the networks and affiliates allowed it.
    The assumption that if Distants laws went away customers would get any channel from anywhere is erroneous.

The real problem is a contract issue. The networks have sold exclusive affiliation agreements. The networks cannot violate those agreements by allowing another affiliate within the defined area they have sold each station. The stations cannot violate those agreements by allowing their signals to be rebroadcast outside of their defined area. (The definition includes OTA reception, where available, so you will see overlapping affiliates in some areas. But in general there is strict market exclusivity.)

If you want an out of market station the networks cannot agree to deliver it and the station cannot agree to be delivered. The only way Distants are available today is the permissive law that interferes with that contract and allows delivery under strict circumstances. So your the request you are really making is to have the government further interfere in the affiliation contracts ... not for the laws to go away.

7. Feb 9, 2017 #7 of 12
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    There is a very large problem with your thinking. The networks wouldn't want you to be able to see a dns feed while the local was off or it would hurt their leverage during the disputes. And if thy hurt that leverage then the networks wouldn't be able to get as much from the locals for their channels in the first place. So that is not going to ever happen.

Look at Viacom and their stupidity. Because they didn't set up their streaming stuff to require a login when they had disputes they actually shut off streaming for everyone because they didn't want people caught in the dispute to have other ways to receive it.

FOX once said they'd consider becoming a cable channel just so they could get more money. Don't think you'd ever get a dns feed to help you through a dispute.

8. Feb 9, 2017 #8 of 12
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    You mean for the MOBILE market, and you're wrong. Dish doesn't have a nationwide DNS service - you change locations, you call Dish to change which locals you receive. You can be in a different location every night of the year and still watch locals, as long as you called Dish to change.

9. Feb 9, 2017 #9 of 12
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well it sucks Dish offers an inferior service. I was referring to DIRECTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH uses the Distants laws to provide out of market affiliates in short markets. (Are you are saying Mobile is one of those?) DISH typically picks an affiliate from a close market. The close market approach allows DISH to offer channels with some connection to the customer, instead of a NYC or LA affiliate with no connection to people in that market. In the Mobile market all networks are available from local Mobile or Pensacola stations.

Or are you referring to RV service instead of Mobile, Alabama?

11. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    If you are traveling with your RV, or Tailgater setup, all you have to do is call Dish , tell them you are traveling, you give them the address of where you are staying, and they will activate that DMAs locals for you.

I've done this several times without issues.
    But I also don't call every night to change them.
    If I know I'm staying in more than 1 location for less than a week, then I use OTA or I used to just use a conus market .

12. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    When I was with Directv it was the same. I had homes in Nebraska and Arizona and when I traveled between would take my Hr24, all I did was call and they would change my locals on receiver. Issue I ran into was Nebraska had no locals so I had to jump through hoops with distant networks.