1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enhancement needed to Program Guide

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Richard, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    In the DirecTV APP for iOS, When you view a sporting event in the guide, it will let you know if the game is blacked out:
    DirecTV.PNG

It would be nice if this same information was shown in the Guide/Program info when you try to record the game on your receiver also. Maybe even a prompt when you select RECORD, that says "This program has been blacked out in your area".

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    They may not tell you in advance, but they do run a game search automatically and get you to a station that you won't be blacked out on unless its a weird situation. So in essence, they already do and have for several years actually.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    That is nice but inconsistent even on the app. The braves coverage with the nationals for me is marked as blacked out on the fox channel but not on the EI channel. Same with the Rockies on Root but not on the EI channel (they are playing the orioles today).

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

4. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    That has not been my experience. I scheduled the Cowboys/Cardinals game to record on the NFL network to see what it would do, and it just recorded a few minutes before the game was about to start and then ended with a notice that something had changed and the recording was no longer available. It didn't try to record on the channel where it wasn't blacked out. At least it didn't record 3 1/2 hours of a black screen.

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Was the game on anywhere for you? You cannot watch live preseason games on the NFL network in market.

6. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    Yes, it was on one of the local channels.

7. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You mean local as in OTA but on the satellite? Not so sure that the game search works well with local channels. It is not a perfect system. However, it was right to black you out on the NFL Network. You only get replays of local games on the NFL Network. (During the preseason, that is. You still get the Thursday regular season games there.)