1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epsilon; Email Concern

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Earl Bonovich, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2011 #1 of 72
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Oh boy... Given the fact that as of this morning, I have now received emails from 9 major companies so far (Chase, BestBuy, Hilton Honors just to name a few).

It looks like the email clearing house/mail service, Epsilon had a breach that exposed our names and email address.

(Note, I do not know what service DIRECTV uses).

So keep your eyes open on any incomming emails you get.

But I see in the very near future, a change (again), in my email address.
    My increase in spam of my less then 2 year old email address, is now getting back up to 35-50 a day. (my old address was getting over 200)... and this is POST filtering.

2. Apr 4, 2011 #2 of 72
    HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I just got an email from Chase about it.

I have many email addresses. I have hotmail that I use for whatever needs a valid email address but I don't trust not to spam me, I have my personal domain email address that I use for friends & family, & I have gmail that I use for businesses, banks, etc -- things that require an email address & are most likely not going to spam me. Gmail does a great job of filtering out what spam I do get to that address.

3. Apr 4, 2011 #3 of 72
    Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    +1

got a few emails so far.

4. Apr 4, 2011 #4 of 72
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Got a couple yesterday warning of this. No biggie. My Gmail works great with Spam. I get a couple hundred per day and never see any of them (unless I look in my spam folder).

5. Apr 4, 2011 #5 of 72
    Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Same here, have gotten 3 today about the e-mail breach.

6. Apr 4, 2011 #6 of 72
    gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    Yep, the notices keep piling up. I'd hate to be responsible for Epsilon's marketing ans sales department right now.

7. Apr 4, 2011 #7 of 72
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I rarely get actual spam in my inbox on gmail, so likely won't bother to do anything. I'm not vulnerable to phishing schemes, and that is the main concern. Fortunately, my mother is generally not either, but who knows what my father would do if he got an email "from" his bank. I'm hoping OpenDNS's Phishtank will protect him.

8. Apr 4, 2011 #8 of 72
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    There are a few stories on various news and tech security websites about it.

9. Apr 4, 2011 #9 of 72
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    FYI, I got something supposedly from UPS about a package being delivered to my house. This was at an email address I don't think I've ever used for UPS and it was not in their normal shipping notice format. The kicker was that it had a .zip file attached that I was supposed to open for the shipping information.

Yeah, right buddy. Ain't happenin'. Went straight for the delete button on that one.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Good choice, that was an actual virus.

11. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    So far my yahoo account hasn't seen a SPAM uptick yet, they've been pretty good at SPAM filtering.

Cheers,
    Tom

12. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I seem have dodged this one, no notices so far.

There is a variant on the UPS delivery scam, something about a prescription delivery. My sister in-law's husband was taken in this morning. It installs a virus called Clean This which pretends to be a virus scanner. He called me. :eek2:

Damn thing is active even booted into safe mode. I finally told him to take it the Geek Squad at Best Buy. Talking him through command line and registry edit wasn't going to happen and I'm not flying to Florida. :)

13. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Scratch that, just got a love note from Walgreens. I don't remember signing up for their site.

14. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    I haven't noticed any of the emails, I'm using gmail as well so all the spam probably didn't hit my inbox :D

15. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    Who signs up for love? Oh right, everyone who uses internet dating sites. In your case you are dating the internet....hmmm

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. I got one from Best Buy. It was to an old e-mail address I don't use anymore, but must be what I signed up for them with. Even then, I hardly ever get spam e-mails now. The one that keeps showing up is one from an AOL address that originates out of China. I just ignore it.

- Merg

Sent from my iPod touch using DBSTalk

17. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I guess I'm a bit unclear as to where the breach occurred.
    Was it related to the forum or to DirecTV? :confused:

18. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
  19. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    TiVo on Saturday, and Best Buy today... :(

~Alan

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'm sure they'll try to keep it hush hush in the press....but base on the client list....this is going to be a large security breach in terms of the number of people potentially impacted.

It may also not be a major problem, depending on when they discovered it, what they learned, and if they've found the culprit.

We'll just have to be on the alert.