1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Error 41 - No guide data

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by lobuem, Dec 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. lobuem

lobuem New Member

Dec 16, 2011
    This is my problem and I need some help narrowing down what to try first.

I have an error receiving guide data on all receivers (3). Self Test fails with Error 41. I am able to watch live programming. Signal test shows every other transponder has zero strength on all receivers.

5LNB dish.
    SWM-8.
    SWM output 1 goes to power module then location 1.
    SWM output 2 is split to locations 2 & 3.
    Setup working this way for about a year.

What are the possible things this could be:
    -One of the cables from the dish to the SWM?
    -Bad SWM?
    -Anything else?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This first thing to look at would be the coax going to the dish.
    Which are reading zero?
    101 odds means it's the 13 volt coax
    101 evens means it's the 18 volt coax.
    if it's the 103 or 119, it means odds = 13 volt 22 KHz and evens 18 volt 22 KHz.
    Now one step would be to swap the 13 & 18 volt coax and check if the zeros swap too. If so, then the coax or LNB, if not then more likely is the SWiM.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Guide data failure.
    Possible distribution problem, incorrect ODU selection or signal blockage to one or more satellite locations

If I remember correctly, this could be a connector that is wet inside or corroded or it could be the dish has become out of alignment.
    With a 5 LNB dish your Guide is coming from the 119° satellite. The LNB for that satellite could also be bad.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I do need to step in here and correct this.
    Without a SWiM, guide data comes from both even & odd transponders and [with the SL5] both 101 & 119.
    With an SL3, since there is no 119 LNB, it only comes from 101.
    When there is a SWiM, it always comes from 101, "but" since all feeds are active, "it may" only come off the 101 even or odd, and not both.

5. lobuem

lobuem New Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Thanks, that gives me some things to look at this weekend. If I remember right it was the evens that were zero, however I don't remember being able to tell which coax goes where on the dish side. The dish was installed by Directv to one receiver, then a year later I added the SWM-8 and the 2 other receivers. This was a couple of years ago, but I think I had to add 2 of the cables going to the dish to get this to work.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    There needs to be four coax going to the dish, but at the SWM8 these are marked. At the dish is doesn't matter because it too has a switch, which is why you can swap the coax at the SWM8 and still have it work.

7. lobuem

lobuem New Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Thanks very much for your help. Based on this info, the first thing I did was disconnect the 13V cable from the SWM and the tip had crumbled to dust. I had to pull pieces out of the SWM connector and put on a new connector and all is well. This was an easy fix when you know where to look.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So from this, it looks like the SWiM only looks at the 101 odd TPs for the guide data.

9. lobuem

lobuem New Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Well, I don't want to get the ladder back out and climb up to look, but since the evens were the zeroes I must have mistaken which cable was the 13V and which was the 18V. It was definitely the evens that were zero, so that must be where the guide info is.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Then evens it is. :lol: