1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error 792

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by coolyman, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Dec 9, 2010 #1 of 12
    coolyman

coolyman Legend

Oct 4, 2007
    Background:

WCPO (channel 9) in Cincinnati switched transmitters as of 12/8/10.
    HR20-700

Problem:
    I get "Searching for signal on the off-air tuner....(792)" on 9-2.

I did Initial Setup and Reset Settings for my OTA several times and a red-button reset. 9-1 and all my other OTA locals are fine. I'm getting the same signal strentgh on both 9-1 and 9-2 (80+). I've searched the forums and can't find an explanation of this error code. :confused:

TIA

2. Dec 9, 2010 #2 of 12
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Give DirecTV a call.

3. rgaustad6

rgaustad6 New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    I am having the same trouble. I hope that the Directv CSR who answers my call know what I am talking about. Last year I had the same trouble with some of my other channels when the digital switch took place. The problems were usually resolved within a week or two.

4. coolyman

coolyman Legend

Oct 4, 2007
    So it was a DirecTV issue? Let me know what they say! Thanks for calling. :)

5. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Its a PSIP problem on a non-PSIP receiver.

Rather than having a PSIP-based tuner in their DVRs/STBs such as nearly every other digital tuner and converter box has, DTV seems to keep PSIP information in a central database that they manage, and they parse that info out to local boxes dependent upon what local markets each has set up. During reboot, it queries the central DB regarding the local market info. If the info is wrong, a mere reboot won't improve things.

The achilles heel of this system is that things change, and there is a lag between the changes and the DB being corrected, meaning it is under-managed.

Fixing PSIP discrepancies on a normal tuner usually just takes a rescan or a reboot. For DTV OTA, since the DB is not local but at the uplink site, you have to bug them until they drill down into the central DB to fix it themselves.

6. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Succinctly put! You should save this response to a file and trot it out when the question comes up again (and it will). I especially like this part:

"The achilles heel of this system is that things change, and there is a lag between the changes and the DB being corrected, meaning it is under-managed."

Not that D* cares that much, but your indictment of "under-managed" is about as well put as one can get, for "under-statement".:)

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    THX, hasan. The mods want me to be a bit less controversial. They have a point; I don't want to be perceived as a crazy extremist like some tea-baggers I've seen recently.

Whether I am usually perceived as right or not or helpful or not depends more upon instant emotionally-driven perception and rushes to judgement than whether I actually am right or not, whether I like it or not, and being "colorful" sometimes leads to a perception that tends to lower credibility. Go figure.

Ironically, understatements can carry more weight, at least with thoughtful readers. Sort of like speaking softly makes people strain to hear what you are saying, I guess.

I'm trying, but I'm a work in progress. :)

8. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    ...as are we all. Good job, TomCat.

9. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    Aside from the data being out of date, it is horribly incomplete. I also live in the Cincinnati DMA, and did a rescan on my TV's to pick up the change. I can usually pick up most of the Dayton stations from where I am, and my TV comes up with 49 digital signals. The DirecTV database generously supplies my HR20 and AM21 with info for 12 channels.

10. rgaustad6

rgaustad6 New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    My 9-2 started working on Friday evening, 12/10.

By the way Cadet502, did you add Dayton to your secondary coverage? I am getting all of the off the air channels (main and subchannels from both cities (40+ channels)) on my HR21/AM21 DVR.

11. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    I do have Dayton as a secondary, I rebooted my HR21-100 yesterday to see if it had picked up the change.

But thanks to your nudge, I went back into antenna setup and added all the subchannels. I guess I assumed that "ALL CHANNELS" in the guide meant all the OTA channels available also. DUH!

Thanks for the reminder.

12. coolyman

coolyman Legend

Oct 4, 2007

Must I go through Initial Setup again to get it working?

YES.

So now it works. Thanks.