1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erthernet to tv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by westview, Oct 27, 2012.

1. westview

westview Mentor

Dec 27, 2011
    I asked this question before. I have a erthernet cable hooked up to my DVR. It works fine for downloading movies from Direct. I would like to hook this up to my tv, but my tv does not have an input for erthernet. Does anyone make an adopter to make this connection. If this is possible will I be able to watch the internet on my tv? I got a lot of answers on other ways to watch. But no one said if an erthernet connection will work.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Bottom line is that if your TV did not come with it, it will not work.
    It needs more than just the connection. It has to have software to allow the connection / surfing , etc.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Yeah", it's called a laptop/notebook with a HDMI output.

4. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    The first time you asked this I was having trouble grasping what you were asking so I didnt contribute. Reading again I think I get the jist of what you are asking.

The bottom line is that it depends on your tv. If your tv is network capable it will allow you to connect to the internet via ethernet. That said, once you do that you will most likely have access to whatever apps are installed on your tv (Netflix, Blockbuster, Vudu, etc). It will allow you to stream movies but not download.

Hope that helps.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    My Samsung TV has an ethernet connection and if I wanted to could view several network apps like Netflix or Hulu or content from my network. However, I've found that the WD TV Plus HD media player has a better interface.

6. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Are you saying your TV has a USB port for a Wifi stick or has wifi built-in, but you want to use an ethernet connection instead. But you don't have an ethernet port on the TV?

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    One way (if you don't have BR player) - buy one of these BR players with Smart TV functions or
    buy the adopter: ST600 http://www.lg.com/us/tv-accessories/lg-ST600-smart-tv-upgrader

8. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Ew and I have found that my WD TV Plus sucks for apps. (I use mine with a hdd attached)

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    westview, you have asked this question several times going all the way back to August, but you never seem to give any real info as to what make/model tv you have and what you want to watch from the internet. Can you help us to help you a little here? What exactly does "watch the internet" mean?

10. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    It was implied in his last thread that he wanted to watch directv over ethernet. As we all know, this is impossible.

Can we PLEASE get a mod to lock this thread? I'm getting sick of it.

11. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    Why not a Roku

Several of my co-workers love theirs a lot more than the streaming apps in their TV's or BluRay players

12. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    I recommended this last time this thread was posted. I enjoy mine. But it will not receive directv, and no device will besides a D* reciever.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It was one time advertised: DTV USB box with smart card.
    Somehow the project has been killed by DTV.

14. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    How the heck were they planning on pushing ghz signals through USB?

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    It was a direcTV tuner built into a box that connected to your computer over USB. Then you used Windows Media Center as your DVR to set up recordings etc. Kind of like the Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650, but for DirecTV instead of cable. It was called the HDPC-20.

The HDPC-20 got shelved when DirecTV/Microsoft missed the deadline to get support for it added before the August 2008 update to Windows Media Center.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1428/~/hdpc-development-suspended

16. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    So it still used coax to a STB. Not at all what this guy wants.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Doesn't matter: what he want is not possible. We are giving him real/almost real ideas to reach his goal. Not fictions scenarios.