1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESATA Cable Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by YCT, Dec 20, 2009.

1. YCT

YCT Cool Member

Mar 16, 2008
    I recently installed a Western Digital 1TB (model WDG1S10000) and Antec MX-1 to my HR20-700. The esata cable that came with the Antec didn't "feel right" when installing. It seemed to have a too much wiggle. Regardless, I wiggled it around some until it seated to my satisfaction. I bumped the enclosure this morning when dusting off the unit. The picture froze intermittently until I wiggled the esata cable around to reseat it.

My question: Is there a recommended replacement esata cable? What has worked for you guys?

Thanks in advance.

2. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    I don't know of any recommended cables. I do know that if Monster makes an eSATA cable, it is NOT recommended! :lol: (They tend to price their products at about 300% of the market value).

Did it seat correctly on the back of the external enclosure?
    Did you try flipping the cable the opposite direction?

The folks here I imagine would recommend using monoprice.com if they carry that type of cable (I imagine they do).
    For a temporary check, I believe Wal-Mart and Radioshack carry eSATA cables. No shame in buying one to try out and then returning it once you've come to a conclusion.

3. YCT

YCT Cool Member

Mar 16, 2008
    The cable seated well at the receiver; the enclosure end was a loose fit. Duh, I didn't think about flipping the cable around. Thanks, I'll give it a shot when the football games end tonight.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    FOr what its worth I have 4 MX-1's all using the original cables, and have never found a need to use any other cables beyond the ones that come with the MX-1's...I'm sure its possible to get a bad one but I trust those more than other aftermarket cables.

5. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    The cable that came with my MX-1 seated nicely at both ends. If flipping the cable doesn't improve its fit, I would also recommend monoprice.
    If the cable is not fitting correctly on the MX-1, which is how I read your post, I would consider returning the enclosure for a replacement. After all, the cable was designed to fit the product it was packaged with.

6. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    Not much. It's wonderful, CCarncross, that everything always works 100% of the time for you perfectly and without fail.

But you constantly reminding us of that in every thread where someone has a problem or would like something to work differently does absolutely nothing to help those of us who do have the occasional problem, or feature request.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    My Antec-supplied cable is OK, but the Weaknees enclosure it replaced seemed to have a funky stiff 15" cable that came with it, so I can relate to your cable woes. That one gave me little confidence in whether it was seated properly.

The SATA connector is not designed for removing and reconnecting with the robustness that is found on, say, a USB or HDMI cable; they expect a SATA connector to make a dozen or so connects in its lifetime, rather than hundreds or thousands (so only disconnect when you absolutely have to, and you do NOT have to when going to the internal drive, for instance).

That said, it still seems like a poorly-designed connector, both from a physical as well as from an ergonomic point of view. A good connector should have the feel of "snapping in" solidly, for one thing, and shouldn't wiggle around in its seating. And if there is a question that it might be inserted backwards, that means it is definitely poorly-designed. Of course it should not work at all if turned around the wrong way, but that should also be obviously wrong (the plug should be keyed to prevent any such attempt).

8. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    There's nothing wrong with sharing personal experience as it relates to the topic at hand.