1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eSATA disk spin time

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by reber1b, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reber1b

reber1b Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    First of all, my HR20 is turned off most of the day, and is only turned on in the evening, and is turned off again when I finish watching TV for the night. I am guessing that the hard drive stops whenever the HR20 is turned off, and only starts again when I turn the unit on, or when it records a scheduled program.

My question is, if I connect a 750 gig FAP, will the FAP follow the same on/off pattern as the internal hard drive would, i.e., does it stop spinning when the HR20 is switched off and not recording a program, or does it spin 24/7? Another assumption I am making is that the disks in the FAP only spin when the lights are on (that is if the lights are not permanently turned off by the FAP's utility software).

One other question, and I think I've seen this on a forum but can't find it now. Does the HR20 have to be unplugged to connect or disconnect the eSATA cord, or is turning the HR20 off safe enough?

reber1b

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Your core assumption is wrong.

The Hard Drive is running the entire time there is power to the HR20...
    As the HR20 can access the HR20 even when it is "off" aka.. standby.

3. ebr

ebr AllStar

Oct 3, 2007
    Doesn't turning the HR20 "off" really just amount to cutting the video and audio outputs off?

I never put my HR10 in standby and don't currently (nor plan to) put my HR20 in standby/off either. Should I...?

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Pressing the power button puts the unit in standby.

All that does is turn the front panel lights off and the A/V outputs off.

5. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    My understanding is its safest to unplug the hr20 to install the esata, it needs to reboot anyway to detect the new drive. The advice I have read all says unplug which is what I did and it wnet smooth as can be. Just remember there will be no series links, favorites etc, you have to redo all that. As Earl said, the drive spins 24x7, whether internal or eSata. If you turned the drive off, it would not be able to record anything scheduled. The HR20 is never 'off'. Standby disables the front panel, and LEDs etc, but internally it it is still doing its thing for recording etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.