1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eSATA drive reformatted by HR - ARGH

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hoyty76, Dec 11, 2008.

1. hoyty76

hoyty76 AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    A little background first. 3-4 times since September when I have tried to watch survivor I have had stuttering picture and video. The DVR is also very slow to respond to remote in this case. In all the cases I was able to wait until Survivor was over and then reboot. After reboot the show played fine, it seems the recording was fine but the DVR was just having playback / real time issues.

A little over a week ago I swapped my external 1 TB drive for a 1.5 TB drive, and transferred all the shows in the process. Both drives used the same Antec MX-1 case and appeared to be working fine before and after the swap.

Tonight I attempted to watch survivor again and again the picture and sound was stuttering. The DVR was recording Survivor as well as My Name is Earl. When I looked the play list it showed two copies of Survivor being recorded at once. I waited until Earl was done and then rebooted the DVR using the menu. Once the DVR rebooted My Play List was totally blank. I thought possibly the DVR had booted of the internal drive and so I rebooted again and checked all connections. Same result.

Next I started a recording of the Office so I would have something on play list. Rebooted again and pulled the eSATA this time. It booted up with a blank play list again. This time I started a recording of 30 Rock. Then I rebooted once more and reattached eSATA, the Office was on the play list and 30 rock wasn't. This confirmed it was using external drive.

It appears the HR21-100 just decided to reformat my eSATA drive. Which in short really freaking blows. The drive was 50% full so you can only imagine how much I have now lost. What went wrong? What did I do wrong?

P.S. My fiancé asked why we use these DVR’s; I honestly didn't have a good answer other than it was all that was offered by DirecTV now. I may just have to setup my TiVo Series 3 as a backup.

2. NorfolkBruh

NorfolkBruh Legend

Jun 9, 2007
    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! Indeed! So for over a year I've been using a SimpleTech 1TB eSATA drive. NOW... I come home, have a BRIGHT blue light on my HR20-700 (indicating it has restarted) and BAM! am on the internal drive for the first time in AGES! (i.e.: over a year!)

My eSATA is not working at ALL. Sure... I know how to set it up (after all it DID work correctly for over a year!) and now... no love no matter how many restarts I do! Anyone else having this as an issue for them too?

Norfolk

3. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Here is a way to possibly get back your recordings on your external drive.

1) Do a graceful shutdown of the receiver meaning to go into the Menu and perform a Restart from there.
    2) Before you plug the power cord back in, turn off the external drive.
    3) Plug the power cord in and let the receiver restart. When it is done you will have the contents of your internal drive available.
    4) Do another graceful shutdown of your receiver.
    5) Before you plug in the power cord into the receiver, turn on the external hard drive.
    6) Plug in the power cord and let the receiver restart. When it is done you will have all of the contents of your external drive just as they were before the first restart.

4. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

Is there a way to transfer recordings to a new drive? I've wanted to upgrade to a 1.5TB drive, but I can never manage to get caught up on all the shows I have recorded.

5. turls

turls Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    Pretty sure the answer to that is no, because then you would have two copies which DirecTV doesn't allow.

6. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Yes, there is a thread about how you can copy your recordings to another drive and then put that in your DVR or as an eSATA external drive. There is a thread here if you do a search for it.

Here is a link to the thread about copying recordings to a new drive.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=100894&highlight=torx

7. rmplatt

rmplatt Mentor

Aug 24, 2008
    I gave up trying to install an eSATA drive on my HR21-100, just never had any consistant luck with it. Bit the Bullet and installed a 1TB internally, and it worked fine for about 6 months, till this morning, when the new software was loaded. It totally fried my internal, and I had to put the internal drive back in. Getting a new box from DTV, and hopefully it won't be a POS HR21-100, in fact, I hope it's not a 100 at all... then I'll see what really happened with the drive.

8. Ben Ber

Ben Ber New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Just got my 1.5T Seagate and ULTRA enclosure, worked great for 4 days, then the next morning my Now playing list was empty. I was able to re-boot and go back and forth between external and internal drives. Internal is OK, external is staring to fill up again as if I had a new empty 1.5 TB drive. Any suggestions, or is it that the HR21-100 is unreliable with external drives?

9. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    If the Now Playing List is truly empty due to a Reformatting of the drive then you are starting from scratch. If going back to the Internal and then back to the External Drive then allows you to view recordings you are okay. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

10. NYURDRMS

NYURDRMS New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    This really is BS, this is the third time that when DTV sends an update that my extrernal drive gets wiped out. This is redicuous. Is there a common issue to why this is happening, as when I call DTV, they say sorry and tell me I am the only one with this issue.

11. Ben Ber

Ben Ber New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    When using an external drive everthing works when you unplug the HR21-100 inall cases. However if you are using the external and you restart using the menus then the HR21 actually displays "reformatting disk drive". This is why my now playing list was empty. D* upgraded that night and forced a reboot. The HR21-100 appears to have a software problem. It actually re-fomats the external drive when D* or you ask ask for a restart. Note: When you use the menu to restart, you can specify to just restart and not to reformat. However, that is the bug, it reformats the external drive every time - I tried it. You have no idea when D* is going to force a reboot, so the external drive can be wiped out at any time. Again, when you unplug to restart, it never fails.

12. Ben Ber

Ben Ber New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    You probably have the HR21-100. When D* restarts your DVR or you do it through the menu, you will see what I saw. The words "reformatting your hard drive".

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Then you might call Directv and ask them to replace your HR21 with an HR22-700. If they say they can't do that then just tell them to send you a replacement DVR and then get the phone number of the installer from them and call the installer and tell him that you want an HR22-700.

14. rcoleman111

rcoleman111 Guest

Thanks, that explains it. Unfortunately it looks like way too much trouble. I think when I get ready to make the switch I'll just use my HD PVR to record the shows onto a PC, then copy them onto a portable USB drive. Then I can watch them just as if they were on the DVR.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Sorry for your loss. Officially, DIRECTV does not support eSATA .. there are only a couple of different drives that I would recommend ..

Either the Western Digital "My DVR" product line or the Seagate "Showcase" product line.

16. Ben Ber

Ben Ber New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I had the same exact experience. But if you watch carefully you will see the words reformatting disk drive (sometimes not every time). Here is what I found.

When using an external drive everthing works when you unplug the HR21-100 in all cases. However if you are using the external and you restart using the menus then the HR21 actually displays "reformatting disk drive". This is why my now playing list was empty. D* upgraded that night and forced a reboot. The HR21-100 appears to have a software problem. It actually re-fomats the external drive when D* or you ask ask for a restart. Note: When you use the menu to restart, you can specify to just restart and not to reformat. However, that is the bug, it reformats the external drive every time - I tried it. You have no idea when D* is going to force a reboot, so the external drive can be wiped out at any time. Again, when you unplug to restart, it never fails.

17. Cyrus

Cyrus Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    I am curious to see if all HR21-100 owners are seeing this or not. I don't have a HR21-100 so I can't try it, but I think there are a few people here who have the HR21-100 + eSATA setup and this is the first I have heard of this reformat at every reboot problem.

18. hoyty76

hoyty76 AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    You also have a seagate 1.5 TB attached correct? It is a DIY eSATA case or a Seagate turnkey box? Maybe we are the unlucky ones to find an incompatibility between HR21-100 and Seagate 1.5? That was why I posted the other thread to possibly warn people and gather more info.

If the HR21-100 is truly reformatting all eSATA drives upon reboot, something I am not really willing to except yet, it is a new bug. I testing CE's until recently and did quite a few menu reboots. I guess the bug could have been introduced recently. It could be as simple as the restart menu having the text / graphics out of order of commands.

19. hoyty76

hoyty76 AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    The common piece between Ben Ber and myself was the 1.5 TB Seagate drive. Maybe there truly is an incompatibility there.

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Is the 1.5TB drive part of the "Showcase" product line?