1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Esata enclosure

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by aleicgrant, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aleicgrant

aleicgrant Legend

Sep 25, 2007
    Hard to believe but I am down to 50% available space with my 2tb enclosure.

Does anyone know of an enclosure that can handle up to 4tb of harddrives in spanning mode?

2. aleicgrant

aleicgrant Legend

Sep 25, 2007
  3. aleicgrant

aleicgrant Legend

Sep 25, 2007
    well according to tech support they dont have enclosure that support over 2tb in spanning mode. back to the drawing boards

4. aleicgrant

aleicgrant Legend

Sep 25, 2007
    anyone have any alternate suggestions

5. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    You DO know that what your thinking is immaterial, as the MAX addressable space by the OS (Linux) in the HR series boxes is 2TB....?

Of course, DirecTV and the folks here who speak for them have never, to my knowledge (and I've watched this particular issue for months), admitted such.

So, forget about anything larger. It's a waste of time (and money).

6. CT_Wiebe

CT_Wiebe Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    aleicgrant -- Your only alternative is to get a second 2TB enclosure and drives. Then when you fill up your present one, you can disconnect it and connect the new one. You existing programs will still be watchable (by re-swaping the drives). It's a pain, but the only way around the 2TB limit, at the present time.

With 50% available, you have a way to go yet, so you can wait for a little while (and maybe the 1TB drive will be cheaper at that time).

Hooking up more than 2TB at one time will still only get you 2TB of disk space to save programs (as other members have found out).

7. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    I might add, that 2TB is a *LOT* of programs, even at HD; I'm at around 9% on my 2TB array right now, and that includes some 155 2-hour movies (mostly off of HDNETMovies and the MGMHD channels), plus all the 'Planet Earth' stuff, some other nature stuff (including lots of 'Nature' off OTA PBS-HD), and a smattering of network episodic tv.

But, I'm not at the 'swapping' point yet, I'm kinda hoping that DirecTV will allow (like the cablecos with TIVO and DishNetwork with their DVR) multiple external drives without the swapping nonsense and eSATA drives 'locked' to a specific HR machine.

8. aleicgrant

aleicgrant Legend

Sep 25, 2007
    I guess I thought something like the tenbox had more than 2tb of space so I figured I could replicate it. as of todays count, I have 55 HD movies recorded with an average of 2 hours each. this leaves me with 51% left so theoretically I could record close to 110 movies. I dont think the separate enclosure is bad but boy would it be great to have those all one together

9. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    It's one of those 'variable' things, of course depends on whether the source is MPEG2 or MPEG4 for instance. But, if the 'designers/programmers' of the box would have, in their meetings (many I'm sure) on the path to designing the s/w and h/w interfaces, would have given a moment to actually think about the road without decent expansion options. Like I pointed out, their competition sure did.

Perhaps the head of the 'team' thought that surely, no one would ever want to store such an amount, or that the drives would be to expensive, or that any number of reasonings. When they decided to 'standardize' on the eSATA interface, they locked themselves into a hardware configuration that is, by basic nature, unexpandable. Not to say it's not a good interface; or that it can't by it's nature be multiplied (daisy chained like USB), but the silicon AND the s/w has to support that mode, and many here have confirmed that, at least from the s/w point, it doesn't. Unknown what chipset they are using and if it will in h/w, and all that is needed is clever s/w, but the basic point that one looses the internal drive when attaching the external was a kinda dead giveaway that no thought was really made. Hopefully, it's not a h/w mistake in the design, and can be corrected in s/w, but that simply isn't known.

What most folks have resorted to is, of course, multiple HR's with external drives/arrays and such. The cost analysis is actually good going in that direction, rather than the swapping of drives around. My biggest problems with the swap routine is the guide data that is lost, and the several days it takes to reload, when resetting or turning off/on the HR. Then again, the amount of cable connections to the multiple machines is also a potential/probable sticking point.

I have 3 set (6 cables plus OTA/antenna feed) into my LV. Not that I couldn't use a couple of SWM8's to do the same, but as they are still unavailable even to the folks I do MDU contract engineering for, I'm not holding my breath on that one. But I did help them buy up tons of HR20-100's when DirecTV announced they were stopping manufacture and going with the tunerless HR21's, without an OTA tuner 'on hand' to utilize, and of the 40+ brand new units we scrounged from across the country (virtually all through eBay), not a one was more than $200.

So, for about the same price as a 750G eSATA drive, you can have an entire 'new' machine, the only ongoing cost will be the $4.99 mirroring fee, as the DVR free doesn't change no matter how many you have. That might be the 'better' way to go, at least for now. IF they ever get the MRV (multi-room viewing) going (again, the competition is way ahead on that as well). and do it right as to being able to 'join' multiple machines into an HR 'network', then things won't be too bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.