1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eSATA - HR21 work with WD 1.5TB and Antec enclosure?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mclemens68, Jun 2, 2009.

1. mclemens68

mclemens68 New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Hi,

Searched the forums but didn't find any reports confirming this exact combo working. Is anyone successfully using the Western Digital 1.5TB (WD15EADS) in the Antec MX-1 enclosure with an HR21?

Alternatively, what about the Seagate 1.5TB (ST31500341AS) Barracuda's? Would probably prefer the WD though given Seagate's firmware troubles with these drives a few months ago.

I've got an HR21-200 in the living room where I'd want to install, but also have an HR21-100 in another room that could be swapped to the living room if that made a difference.

Thanks,

Matt

2. Villager

Villager Legend

Feb 8, 2007
    I have the Seagate in an Antec and used it with the HR21-100. Note the past tense. After a power outage, on rebooting, the HR21 recognized the eSATA drive and promptly reformatted it erasing everything. This has happened with other drive/enclosures that I have tried with this HR21-100. The eSATA will survive a reboot but not a power outage. (I do have it on a UPS but the outage was too long.)

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    WD 1.5TB drive in Antec MX1 enclosure should work fine.

4. Chargerdan

Chargerdan New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    I've been using the Seagate 1.5Tb and the Antec MX-1 since January. It's been working fine for me.

5. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Odd. I have a Seagate 1TB + Antec + HR21-700 setup and have forced a reset by removing the power cord in the past, without having the problem you describe.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The best way to force a reset is to push the red reset button behind the access card door. There are almost no circumstances where you should pull the power cord.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Must be our day to disagree :lol:. I always pull the cord and haven't touched that red button in a couple years. And have never had a problem due to pulling the cord.

Rich

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You also have a better HR. I have the same setup x 2 and have had no problems with either. The firmware problems have been addressed by Seagate. Pulling the power cord and letting the HR sit for a few minutes is my preferred method of dealing with a major problem such as a lockup. For refreshing an almost full eSATA, the menu Restart works fine.

Rich