1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eSATA Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RickD_99, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickD_99

RickD_99 Mentor

Sep 15, 2003
    I've got a spare 500GB Maxtor SATA drive in a Coolgear 3.5" eSATA external enclosure that I originally tried to use with my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box...I gave up on using the Maxtor with the 8300 because I kept getting stuttering on playback of recordings.

I recently acquired the HR20 and tried yesterday to get the Maxtor to work with the HR20 via eSATA but I could not get my HR20 to recognize the drive. Does anyone know whether or not the reason it would not recognize the drive is due to it already being formatted for use with the 8300HD? I assumed that the HR20 would automatically reformat the external drive but when I went through the eSATA installation outlined elsewhere on this site I could never get the HR20 to accept the external drive at all (I tried the process 3 times). I'm running version 0x18a on my HR20 and recently upgraded my sub package to Premier after the recent launch of the new MPEG4 HD channels. The enclosure housing the Maxtor also has a USB port in addition to eSATA, and I tried hooking the Maxtor/enclosure up to my XP laptop via USB in hopes of possibly reformatting the drive...XP recognizes the drive and installs it but when I click on My Computer I do not see an icon corresponding to the Maxtor.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is causing these results and how I can go about trying to reformat the Maxtor drive?

TIA!

2. bmacaluso

bmacaluso Cool Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Rick, I'm sure there's more experienced guys then me that can answer this question, but I think I can say that I've read this same problem many times before in various posts. It usually seems to come down to the esata cable not fitting properly into the HR20. It looks like it's all the way in, but it's actually not. Some people talk about having to trim some of the plug end of the cable to get it to go in all the way. I'm pretty sure that any drive you use will be formatted the first time you plug it into the HR20, so I don't think past use is an issue.

3. elixir26

elixir26 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    I'd try downloading Maxblast and running the utility with the drive hooked up to the pc. Make sure the jumpers if any are in the correct configuration. You should at least get the pc to recognize the drive. Then try again with the HR20

And of course make sure you have a working properly fitted cable.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You said you followed instructions elsewhere on this site? Did you power off the HR20 by unlpugging it from power? Did you connect and power up the eSATA enclosure b4 powering up the HR20?

5. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    If you go into device manager and look under "disk drives" do you see it listed? If so you will need to use the disk management features in XP to format/partition the drive. XP will usually only mount a drive it recognizes. The partition table used by DVR boxes is not one XP can recgnize natively.

6. RickD_99

RickD_99 Mentor

Sep 15, 2003
    Yes to both of your questions. I just tried it again to no avail...I'm using a 3 meter Monoprice cable that I just ordered so I guess conceivably it could be a bad cable...

7. RickD_99

RickD_99 Mentor

Sep 15, 2003
    The strange thing is that when I hooked up the enclosure/Maxtor drive yesterday to my XP laptop via USB I saw on the XP task bar that XP was recognizing it and it (I think) installed a driver for it. I then went into device manager and saw it listed along with the C drive of my laptop. However when I looked in My Computer I did not see the drive listed. I've since rebooted the laptop a couple of times and when I reconnected the enclosure/drive via USB then I do not see the drive listed in device manager and XP does not automatically detect the drive as it did that one time before. I also installed MaxBlast and it gave me an error message after executing the program "a Seagate or Maxtor drive must be present for program to operate"....obviously the enclosure/Maxtor drive is still not being recognized by XP for whatever reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.