1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eSATA Seagate FAP for Christmas

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kingram52, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingram52

kingram52 AllStar

Jul 1, 2007
    Ok , let me see if I got this right about pluging in a eSATA drive. I turn the DVR off and unplug it then turn on the External drive let it get up to speed then plug the cable in to the DVR then turn on the DVR? And then I will only see the external? Do I need to format the external?
    And I can only access one drive at a time so If I want to go back and watch something on the Internal drive I need to turn both units off and unplug the external then turn the DVR back on and everything will be fine, am I miising anything? How do you power down? Is there anyway to accidently erase your programs when doing this?
    thanks

2. waynenm

waynenm I like this stuff.

Oct 30, 2006
    The idea of going back to something on the internal drive is certainly possible, but not
    recommended. If you're going for the eSata solution, you should try to watch what you've got on the internal drive. As for the process, attach the eSata cable, power up the drive, and simply do a menu restart. You should have no problems.

3. mbuser

mbuser Godfather

Jul 6, 2006
    It's super easy and loads of fun. 450 extra gig just like that.

Leave HR20 on. I put mine in standby but probably not necessary.
    Hook up ESATA cable to both HR20 and drive.
    Plug in drive.
    Wait 30 seconds or so for drive to get up to speed.
    Menu>Help and Setup>Setup>Reset Receiver>put - in box
    Wait for the reboot to finish.
    Wait for menu to populate and start setting up your recordings.
    Set up your favorites list() if you have them.

I pretty much ran through my recordings before doing it, but you don't have to. To go back to the internal drive, I think all you need to do is put the unit on standby while on an empty channel (just a precaution), unplug the esata, and reset the HR20.

4. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Any idea if D* is working on allowing concurrent operation of the internal and eSata ports?

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That is one of several ideas that has been thrown around in the R&D department.

Keep in mind that the eSata port is "active" for use, but not "officially supported" at this time. That means it works, but won't be supported by CSR's in any way.

There have been several suggestions made as to how to leverage the eSata port, and none has been "announced" as of this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.