1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

eSata to HR20 Hookup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Michael54017, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael54017

Michael54017 New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Hi,
    I've been watching the posts to see how to connect an eSATA to my HR20, I think I have it right but could someone verify this for me? I have an eSATA Free Agent Pro, 500GB and the HR20. So here's the steps, I think:

1. Shut down the HR 20 and unplug it.
    2. Plug in the FA Pro to the eSATA port on the back of the HR20.
    3. Power up the FA Pro, let it go for a minute or two.
    4. Then plug in and turn on the HR20.

So do I have it right or did I miss a step?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Welcome to DBSTalk

Yes that is all you need to do.

3. Michael54017

Michael54017 New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks Mike! I'll give it a shot!

Mike

4. Michael54017

Michael54017 New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Hi Mike,
    I just wanted to let you know it looks like it's doing great!!!! I'm recording with it now, I can hardly wait to see how much stuff I can throw on there! Is there someplace I could go on the web to learn more about all this?

Thanks,

Mike

5. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    According to the Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO), eSATA devices are hot pluggable as stated here: http://www.serialata.org/esata.asp, so the following procedure would be safe and quicker:

1. Power up the FA Pro, let it go for a minute or two.
    2. Plug in the FA Pro to the eSATA port on the back of the HR20.
    3. Perform a menu reset on the HR20.

To switch back to the internal disk, simply do a menu reset on the HR20 and power down the external disk after the HR20 starts to reboot while leaving it plugged into the HR20 eSATA port.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.