1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eSATA vs another HR20 for more capacity

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tsbrady1, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    Earl or anybody in the know, I am starting to run out of space on my HR20 and I am in a quandry whether to add an eSATA or whether to just get another HR20. the problem with the eSATA is that I will not have access to a bunch of recorded stuff, I do not have it networked and I do not have the time or inclination to copy it to DVD. Does anybody have a clue as to when eSATA will be able to use the internal drive, is it going to be a few months or who knows when? Sorry if already been asked, I hit the "check if already been posted" button and nothing came up.

2. Donb01

Donb01 Legend

Feb 8, 2007
    Manitowoc, WI
    From what I have read on the eSATA stuff, whatever new drive you use completely replaces the drive inside the HR20 and does not function as supplemental storage, and also no matter how big of a drive you buy the HR20 will only allocate 100GB for its use and the rest is inaccessible to the device.

So I guess if you want to keep more stuff you would have to get another HR20.

3. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Esata= more storage
    2nd HR20= less conflicts..
    I went with 2nd unit since I have so much stuff on 1 or 2 nights...

4. brownram

brownram AllStar

Jan 18, 2007
    this is why people get confused. the hard drive in the hr20 is a 320gb sata hard drive 100gb for directv use 220gb for recording. if you add a 750gb esata directv uses 100gb and you get 650gb for recording

5. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    houskamp, you do bring up another advantage to an additional HR20 with the less recoring conflicts scenario, the only problem is that my plasma only has 2 HDMI or component ports so I would have to switch my DVD to an S video input, but I don't watch that many DVDs so that's not a big deal. thanks for the input.

6. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    You should look into one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1011002&p_id=3047&seq=1&format=2&style=

They also have 3 and five port switches.

If you got a 3 port switch, you could have just one HDMI cable running into your tv.

Monoprice has many fans, especially for their cable prices.

7. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    thanks rsblaski, that may solve my dilemma

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.