1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Esky HG-831

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by SeaBeagle, May 11, 2014.

1. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Anyone ever use the Esky HG-831 outdoor aerial? What I like about this is the build in rotor. Less expensive than a Leaf Flat indoor aerial.

I can use my old Direct TV pole which is securely mounted on my roof to secure the aerial.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Looks like the usual Chinese crap that they try to pawn off as a "great" TV antenna to the uninformed.

If you read the description carefully you see hints of poor translation or awkward English phraseology like you usually see with translations made by non-native speakers.

The reason it has to have such a powerful amplifier is that the antenna itself is so poor.

RUN as fast as you can the other way, the rotor will fail after a month or so an probably the amplifier too.

Buy a real antenna from a reputable established manufacturer (Winegard, Antennas Direct, Channel Master, AntennaCraft, etc.).

3. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I decided to take your advise. Looking in to those aerial manufacturers you recommended.

4. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    You should only mount a small antenna on a satellite dish pole. They simply aren't built to handle the kind of wind loads and torque a large antenna will put on it.

5. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    The pole is one attached to the roof. The pole in one foot in height.

6. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    It isn't a matter of being attached to the roof or how tall it is. It's a matter of having a wide enough base.

Satellite dish J-mounts are insufficient for medium-to-large antennas.

But hey, it's your roof. Do what you want with it.