1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN blackout

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sdicomp, Nov 19, 2011.

1. sdicomp

sdicomp Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    Quite frankly, I have NEVER understood D*s ESPN blackouts! Here I am, in Western Tennessee. Texas Tech vs. Missouri is on my local ABC affiate. Question is, WHY is Clemson vs. North Carolina blacked out on ESPN(206)?

Can anyone help me understand this? My neighbor, who has cable service from Charter, has the game available on ESPN.

2. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
  3. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    The only game every week during the 3:30 slot on ABC that is available nationally is the Big Ten game. You will see it on 210 and 210-1. The Clemson/NC State game isn't national. Since you are getting the Texas Tech/Mizzou game on ABC DirecTV has to blackout the Clemson game on ESPN.

4. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Good point, Fenix.
    I forgot to mention the Big 10 contract with ABC guarantees national distribution on either ABC or ESPN in the 3:30 window.

5. SD493

SD493 Legend

Mar 10, 2003
    I'm in Alabama and 206 is blacked out also. It's still blacked out. I wanted to see the LSU/Miss game scheduled at 6:00. Hope they lift the blackout before that game.

6. Martinrrrr

Martinrrrr AllStar

Apr 4, 2007
    I'm in Nashville and the Clemson vs. North Carolina St was on earlier with NCS winning by a large margin. I switched channels and when I came back the TT Mizu game was on. I assumed that they switched because TT Mizu was a more competitive game, but the Clemson NCSt game was on here.

7. sdicomp

sdicomp Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    Then why, does my neighbor, who is on cable, get all 3? Does the blackout ONLY pertain to D*?

8. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    No. It's supposed to be everywhere. Your neighbor's cable company is supposed to black out the appropriate game(s).

9. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    Does your neighbor have Gameplan or get two different ABC stations via cable? The local cable company n my area offers three ABC affiliates.

10. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    I'm just thinking they aren't following guidelines and his neighbor is getting a game on his local ABC station, one game on the SD channel of ESPN and the other game on the HD channel of ESPN.

11. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Directv blacks out based on zip code. cable blacks out based on where the head end is.

12. Directvlover

Directvlover Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    When ESPN or ESPN 2 is blacked out, the event your neighbor is seeing on their ESPN or ESPN 2 channel is actually what you'll see if you flip to either ESPN-ALT or ESPN2-ALT on Directv. The cable companies automatically put the correct games on the channels since everyone in their service area would be under the same blackout restrictions, there is no need for ALT's. Since DTV is national, they have to utilize the ALT channels. Check them out on your guide. It's really no biggy. They even have them in HD, so you won't miss a thing.

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Correct. If there are games on espn, espn2 and abc, you will get all three. They just may be on the espn alt channels.

14. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I've noticed the same thing; my friend with Time Warner cable gets sometimes things on ESPN that I don't. Sometimes, I get things he doesn't. That will never make sense to me. ESPN3 is worthless to me since I can't watch it due to the stupid, ignorant policy of TWC not providing access to ESPN3 if you're only an Internet (no TWC TV) subscriber.