1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN Classic to ESPN 3

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Visman, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1 of 124
    Visman

Visman Legend

Feb 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I have read some were that ESPN classic will become ESPN 3 or ESPN Soccer net sometime in September of 09 or 2010. Has anyone heard anything more about this happening and if it happens will it be in HD on D*

(The word I just got from a source at ESPN is that ... ESPN has big plans for expanding ESPN Classic into potentially an ESPN3, with the English Premier League as one of the station's marquee draws. That whole scenario may wind up being wishful thinking but what is clear is the ESPN is interested in the EPL rights.)

2. Mar 18, 2009 #2 of 124
    myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    I've heard this before. There's also lots of background noise that ESPN and NFL Network would merge to form an ESPNFL network.

I like ESPN3 better. There's no rational reason for it, but I've always wanted an ESPN3.

3. Mar 18, 2009 #3 of 124
    roland6465

roland6465 Cool Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Sweet. One step closer to "The Ocho!"

Downside- DirecTV will probably want to renegotiate so it will be dropped.

4. Mar 18, 2009 #4 of 124
    bgilga

bgilga Legend

Jul 28, 2006
    There was some talk of ESPN3, but they were not able to get the rights to EPL matches. I doubt it will nappen now.

5. Mar 18, 2009 #5 of 124
    Italia

Italia Godfather

Dec 8, 2008
    bgilga is right, they lost out on the EPL rights. Not only that, but ESPN doesn't have a clue when it comes to soccer. Originally, ESPN wasn't going to show the Champions League Inter Milan vs. Manchester United match live last week. They were going to delay it and play it at 1am!!!! WHAT??!!! The biggest game in this round and they are going to play it at 1am? After much backlash (thanks to the guys at World Soccer Daily), they decided to move it to ESPN Classic live. They finally recognized how big this game was, that they decided to move it to ESPN2. I hope I never see ESPN take EPL games away from the likes of a Setanta or even FSC.

6. Mar 18, 2009 #6 of 124
    vtfan99

vtfan99 Legend

Apr 11, 2006
    While true, this hardly hurts their ability to air the matches. What they lost was the UK broadcast rights, which means they would have to provide commentators and production crews...it would be their broadcast. What they can still get is the US broadcast rights, which essentially allows them to air the broadcast being produced by SKY. This is actually better as it would be the actual SKY broadcast...meaning real announcers that don't suck. I don't know when this "bidding" takes place, but I'm certain they are still in the running for this.

Additionally, Setanta did get one package for the UK rights....but they are having serious financial difficulties. There is still some thought that ESPN could buy Setanta, thus immediately giving them access to Setanta's rights.

There is still a lot to be determined.

7. Mar 18, 2009 #7 of 124
    DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    ESPN Soccer? They better not.

ESPN 3, that would be cool.

8. Mar 18, 2009 #8 of 124
    Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...

ESPN3 would be great.It would probably be better than the "Recycled Sports Channel" they have now.
    The same old re run a hundred times over sort of loses something after the 1st time you watch it even if it's a favorite game of yours like my 86 Mets or 74 and 75 Flyers for example.I have honestly not watched ESPNC in 2 or 3 years.I personally think a change would be good for ESPN. (Maybe like bringing back the NHL too)

ESPN Soccer,no way.There are already 1/2 dozen soccer channels out there.

9. Mar 18, 2009 #9 of 124
    Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    I would hope ESPN3 would be more of a World Sports channel that shows, Soccer, Rugby, Cricket, AFL, etc...

10. Mar 18, 2009 #10 of 124
    GutBomb

GutBomb Godfather

Jun 17, 2004
    One mistake doesn't mean they don't have a clue. Euro 2008 proved they have a lot of clues about how to cover soccer. This week in the champions league was a challenging one. Liverpool vs Real Madrid or Man United vs Inter? It's a tough call which is going to get more ratings. They ended up making the right call anyway, so I guess they do have a clue then right?

The broadcasts we see right now in the states on Setanta and Fox Soccer Channel are not the Sky broadcasts. Most of them are produced by TWI for the league and are the regular international feed. The others are produced by Setanta. Many of these games are called by men in a studio watching the game on a TV. The only time we ever get Sky broadcasts are when Setanta shows games from the English Championship League.

There are 3. 1 dying (goltv, and it's not dying because it's soccer, it's dying because it's owners are inept) 1 thriving (fox soccer channel), and one simply existing as a premium channel (Setanta)

ESPN getting into the mix would likely kill off GolTV once and for all, and league rights would shift around so ESPN would likely share english league rights with setanta and maybe get the top 4 spanish teams, fox would get the rest of the spanish league and the german league to suplement their italian league coverage, and the rest would go to setanta.

11. Mar 18, 2009 #11 of 124
    erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    At least when ESPN or ESPN2 broadcasts international games, there's a chance it will be in HD (see World Cup 2006 or MLS). With GOL or FSC, it is not in HD (and apparently won’t be for some time). THAT sucks!

Worst case is if the ESPN networks receive some soccer in HD, with their own announcers, then we simply turn down the volume...:grin:

12. Mar 18, 2009 #12 of 124
    aa9vi

aa9vi Godfather

Sep 3, 2007
    We already have ESPN3. It's called ESPN-U. What ever happened to putting that in the Total Choice package (or whatever name they call it this month) for SEC games? If ESPN Classic went to ESPN4, then, what? We'd get more poker and dog shows on ESPN 1 and ESPN 2?

Sounds like there are too many ESPNs as it is. Especially since they extort D* for rediculous rates (which eventually get passed on to us every year) and the programming gets more watered down every year. No thanks.

13. Mar 18, 2009 #13 of 124
    sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    I don't care what you call it, as long as it's telecast in HD, I'll be happy. D* needs to upgrade ESPNU to HD immediately.

14. Mar 18, 2009 #14 of 124
    Retro

Retro AllStar

Nov 27, 2007
    I really hope ESPN doesn't merge with the NFL Network, which i think would be unlikely as the NFL likes the control of it's programming for the most part..

If it happened, i think espn would fill it with too many shows of former players analyzing every moment of every game and everytime T.O. sneezes.:rolleyes:

At least now, we get some good replays, classic original games and not the constant promo plugs of other espn shows...

15. Mar 18, 2009 #15 of 124
    sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    The ESPN/NFL Network merger rumor was pretty strong about a year ago. The NFL Network still can't come to an agreement with so many cable operators in the country they were looking to increase their #'s and ESPN was looking for more programing. I think it would make sense, all you really see on ESPN Classic besides "recycled" sports is when it's used as an overflow channel for games usually during the fall. ESPN 3 would also make sense though. If I am not mistaken, ESPN Classic is on more TV's than is ESPNU.

16. Mar 18, 2009 #16 of 124
    SoullessAngel

SoullessAngel New Member

Jun 25, 2006
    One step closer to ESPN 8 - "The Ocho", at which point you'd have to believe they would be forced to show "pro" dodgeball to fill time. Sorry, couldn't resist.

17. Mar 18, 2009 #17 of 124
    turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    I dont know about cricket but I would love to see more soccer. If you have DIRECTV you can always get setanta for the ruby.

18. Mar 18, 2009 #18 of 124
    turey22

turey22 Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    They did an AMAZING job with the Euro 2008. I think that they always do a good job with soccer. Last year with the champions league and the year before that. Like you said it was just a tough week. They always broadcast the USA and Mexico game so I am always happy with that.

19. Mar 18, 2009 #19 of 124
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Nah, ESPN3's line-up is just one more place to show World Poker Tour

20. Mar 18, 2009 #20 of 124
    vansmack

vansmack Godfather

Aug 14, 2006
    Let's clarify this - ESPN was not able to get British Rights to broadcast EPL in Britian. That does not mean they won't try to get US rights when the Fox/Setanta deal is renegotiated (and yes, I realize this will be difficult with Fox and BSkyB owned by Rupert Murdoch and Setanta the other bid winner, but that doesn't mean it will be impossible).