1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ESPN Classic

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Jul 22, 2014.

1. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Several years ago we used to have ESPN Classic in the regular AT250. Why was that removed? I wish Dish would include that back in the AT250. It is the only ESPN channel I watched, seeing old TV shows like the White Shaddow as well as the old ABC sports games. I sure miss it, but it is not worth subscribing to the whole sports package just to get the one channel. I tried that for a while, but it is just too expensive. Any chance of Dish adding ESPN Classic back into AT250? Thanks.

2. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    A few years ago ESPN made an offer to most providers to put in ESPN Classic in a higher package in exchange for putting ESPNU, which has live events, in a more widely distributed package.

As for it ever changing, don't hold your breath, the deal Dish made with ESPN/Disney earlier this year mentioned that Dish will transition ESPN Classic to an On Demand service.

3. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    You are asking for a channel that was literally the least watched sports TV channel in the U.S., and right there with the lowest of all Cable channels. It isn't just with DISH that it is going away from traditional programming packages. I disagree that it should be in the regular packages, it's where it should be IMO.
    At least you should be able to get it on demand soon, that should be better for you than having to get the Sports package, though almost everyone has been able to get that package for $6 or less for quite awhile.

4. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    That was the most boring channel ever! Who wants to watch 40 year old sports events?

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is not the most popular channel ... but it is nice for nostalgia. Where else can you see that content?

When it converts to on demand only I hope all of the content remains available.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I might have watched more if they had HD on ESPNClassic. The truly classic old games it didn't matter... but the newer classic games that I remember watching in HD it was never worth watching in SD for a replay on the Classic channel.

7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I liked the old TV Shows like the ABC celebrity games and The White Shadow.

8. Oct 2, 2014 #8 of 16
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And Wednesday (Oct 1st) was the day. ESPN Classic is gone. Content is only available through ESPN OnDemand.

9. Oct 2, 2014 #9 of 16
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I did not watch much of ESPN Classic, recently, in its early days it had some good content.

Maybe, with moving a couple channels, FOX Sports 2 can be moved next to FOX Sports 1 instead of a couple hundred channels away..

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'd be very surprised to see 143 become anything except an ESPN channel (I expected it to be used for a VOD channel similar to the VOD version of ESPN). Putting another providers between the core ESPN channels, or even the multi-view or scroll advertising non-ESPN channels, would probably not be acceptable to ESPN.

DISH could move down channel 403 or 407 but they are better off near the RSNs. If either moved to 143 I would expect 403 to move - but it works at 403 and wouldn't help with opening 151 for FS2.

11. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    It is bad enough that we have other 24 hour channels. Those channels can become just as boring as well.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

12. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    The problem w/ this is, there are actual LIVE football games scheduled to air exclusively on ESPN classic.

Guess we'll hafta use the App now...

13. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    ESPN Classic ran a couple shows I liked, the White Shadow and the ABC Celebrity Games back in the 70s.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I looked online for a schedule of games on ESPN Classic and found a page saying "no games scheduled". Do you have a list of live games scheduled for ESPN Classic? Perhaps they have moved to other channels or to the ESPN Alt channels?

15. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Doh! you're right, my mistake. They "used to" air live games on occasion but from what I'm seeing now in the schedule, those games are on ESPNews now.

16. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    According to what I've read the ON DEMAND content will follow the current sports season and will have 600 hours of ON DEMAND content available with this month's being college football and basketball. I suppose this is ESPN's attempt to save face, after all they bought the channel for something like 200 million just a few years ago and as has been stated, like their 3D channel, no one was watching it.