1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ESPN exec is willing to talk to Google, Sony, Intel about IPTV -- if they'll take bundles

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Athlon646464, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    ESPN exec is willing to talk to Google, Sony, Intel about IPTV -- if they'll take bundles

For those who find sports is the string keeping them from cutting loose of traditional pay-TV services, ESPN president John Skipper's comments today are a bit of good news / bad news.

Speaking to Bloomberg, he revealed the network has had talks to offer its content on internet TV services like the ones we've heard Google, Sony and Intel (among others *cough Apple*) are interested in offering. What he and a network spokesman made clear however, is that any agreement would involve those services offering a package of channels, just like current cable, satellite and telco providers.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Engadget

2. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    We need to separate the two, the broadcasters hold all the power.

3. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I just don't like bundles being discussed, that is where they are removing choice again from us the consumer. And it will be no different then what is offered today from Cable and Dish

4. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    That's not how it will wind up in the end, Skipper just doesn't realize it yet. Or doesn't want to.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    What I want to know is what do they mean by bundles? Are they talking you have to get an ESPN bundle with all the ESPN channels, or an ESPN/Disney/ABC bundle with all those channels, or a full blown bundle like Choice/Choice Extra where they are tied to channels from other companies as well? If it's just an ESPN or ESPN/Disney/ABC bundle then it is at least something a little bit new/different and it would be interesting to see how it works out, but if it's not then there is nothing new to see here.

6. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    If the bundle is just ESPN channels, that would be ok with me. Disney needs to be separated from ESPN for channel packages. If they want to offer a combination of the two along with a ESPN and a Disney one, I'm ok with that too. Just offer us real choices.

7. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Sounds to me like an opening bargaining position. They have to start somewhere.

The interesting part of this is that it is happening at all. IPTV today is far different than it was just 6 months ago.......

8. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Disney makes a lot of money from ESPN and only a fool will believe Disney will give that up for free or cheep.

9. CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    Folks -- I know everyone wants a la carte offerings but to say Disney "has to this" or "should do this" is not relevant. They are a private business that can sell their products in whatever form they see fit.

Hopefully (based on the tone of the Bloomberg article), they are talking about an ESPN bundle. But don't be shocked when the price is high -- they are already getting an estimated $5/mo/sub from cable/satellite. To avoid cannibalizing their current bundles (which include ABC properties) and avoid pissing off their cable/sat partners, the cost of a standalone ESPN package could be considerably higher than $5 a month.

1 person likes this.
  10. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    ^^^

For the sake of argument, let's say they charge double, $10 per sub.

If all I want is sports, locals, news and movies - and don't want all of those 'other' channels I never watch - then I can see where my total cost may be less than what I am paying now.

ESPN package - $10
    Amazon Prime - I had it even before their current included video offering, so I won't count it here.
    Netflix - Already have it - so same as Amazon

I could then see me adding an Intel, Sony or Google service for about $30 giving me some of the other stuff I want.

MLB would be about the same, and I'm thinking the NFL will eventually be delivered like MLB is today.

I'm seeing this as the future of TV.

Folks under 30 want this. Most of them don't even know OTA exists. They live in a 'connected' world, and to them paying $125 per month for TV is insane. This is one of the chief reasons why total subs for cable and satellite dropped last quarter. Most of them will never have a land-line phone for the same reason.

Thing is, 6 months ago I thought this was years away. Now I'm not so sure - I think it's here, certainly before the end of this decade. When names like Intel, Google and Sony get bandied about as they have in the last 45 days, it's interesting to see an ESPN (really Disney) say something about it as well.

11. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I can see ESPN on IPTV but knowing Disney it will not be less than they get from Cable/Sat, when is the last time Disney lowered there price on anything. They also must cover what they pay to teams to get the rights and that is a LOT of money. Yes at 10 a month it would be great but it will be more like 25 a month.

12. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Same here with Amazon Prime & NetFlix.

And if Cable isn't careful they could fall big time, I think Comcast has gotten the hint with there new X1 & X2 receivers coming with Internet apps built in from what I've read. The only thing Cable TV has going for it in the years to come is high speed, it maybe there only saving grace. I can't see how DirecTV and Dish Network will survive another 10 years if they can't figure a way to get high speed technology working with there dishes at a reasonable price and bandwidth.

13. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    Choice is great but how do the "under 30's" (that do not pay $125/mo for TV service) get connected in the first place? No way I can live with streaming everything to my home via my ATT 4G cell service. Between the intermittent slow-downs and capping it is not practical. My only other option for streaming is via DSL as I do not have cable to my home as an option so I have to maintain my landline in order to get high speed internet access. Minimum cost for that is another $90/mo.

Bottom line for me is that the cost of ESPN as part of my Dish package is of little concern when I add up all my monthly access costs:

Landline with high speed access: $90
    Cell Service: $100 for my line and another $179 for the remainder of the house
    Dish: $110

Minimum monthly cost for all services: $300. I am not including Amazon streaming costs in here because I cannot replace everything I have with any single streaming service today.

You can easily see why saving a few bucks by unbundling the channel packages is immaterial to me. Depending on how the separate costs shake out I am not sure buying them ala-carte would actually end up saving me any money at all.

14. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    From what I have read and heard, the under 30 crowd watches a ton of youtube for there entertainment. I have no idea how they do it, I would be bored out of my mind if that was my means of entertainment all the time.

15. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Don't assume our internet connections will always be what they are today, hell, for most they aren't what they were 3 years ago.

Technology moves quickly, and the current delivery systems will not be what they are now for very long. As much as things have changed in the last year, that is nothing compared to what it will be 3 years from now.

Netflix, for example, is on the verge of turning into what HBO was just 10 years ago.

16. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    The internet will get faster but Disney will not lose money on anything for long. At Disney World if something dose not make as much money as they need they close it. We pay 5 dollars each for ESPN but not all want it, if only those that want it pay for it then it will have to be much more and Disney dose not care how we watch ESPN as long as they get the money.

17. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    I have also seen some of those statistics and completely agree with you. Quite possibly it is because they are so engrossed in social media that they have little attention span for entertainment that requires one to dedicate some time to it in order to really enjoy it. Just as they could care less if their music is compressed they seem to have the same attitude toward video entertainment as well. Merely background noise while they continuously check their facebook pages and texts.

18. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    ESPN, a la carte, would be priced at b/w 25 to 30 dollars.

Very few parties are more concerned about Google approaching the folks at NFL/ST than the people in Burbank.

19. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    I would argue that's exactly what he wants. Just as Chase Carey last week said A La Carte is a fantasy.

20. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Where do you get those numbers from? Also - they are no longer the only 'game' in town. FOX1, NBC Universal, CBSSports etc.