1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by hdthebest, Feb 11, 2010.

1. hdthebest

hdthebest Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    Okay time to vent...I have a 2007 Samsung LED DLP and I know it's not my TV since 99% of the HD channels I have is great in pq...but ESPN HD 206 is crap, I am trying to see if this is D* issue( which I doubt) or this is ESPN's antique equipment that is the cause...trying to get feedback to see if I need glasses or ESPN's pq sucks.

2. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Can you be more specific? Is this a problem with all programs or did you notice it during a particular broadcast?

3. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    If I had to rank all of the hd channels, ESPN would come out somewhere near the bottom. Maybe you have to lower your expectations! ;)

4. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Their PQ is spotty at best and even when it is good they manage to leave that damn ticker on the bottom the screen and ruin it. I am even more disappointed in their use of the fake Circle Surround.

5. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    I hate tickers on any channels. I especially hate it when they squish the picture upward to show the ticker rather than just overlay it. Networks really need to come up with a less intrusive way to show scores from other games.

6. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Well, at least ESPN doesn't distort the picture to show their ticker. They simply shrink it and maintain the aspect ratio with the ticker running underneath.

All of my major locals (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) have local HD newscasts. Only one of them (WISHTV-CBS) runs a ticker for weather closings or weather alerts and squishes the picture. All of the others either do it like ESPN by shrinking the picture to run unmolested above the ticker or they use the overlay method. The engineer for that station is a moron and doesn't understand why people are upset over it. His name is Tom Weber in case he reads this. :D

7. hdthebest

hdthebest Godfather

Sep 10, 2007
    Thanks for your posts I guess my expections get HIGH when watching HIGH definition programming, it just seems foolish to be the #1 station for sports and yet there HD is passable for viewing at best..and to answer the question what programming all NBA games