1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ESPN is at it again

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by phrelin, Jan 12, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    At some point in time... Oh, nevermind!

ESPN, far-and-away the most expensive channel on everyone's cable package, is under fire. From The Morning Bridge:

2. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    THis actually heppened a while ago. Only 3 bowls were not on ESPN networks this year and one of those, the Rose, was on ABC.

3. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    Rose Bowl was on ESPN

4. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I can't believe how much ESPN thinks they are worth.. I watch a few MNF games, some Sunday night baseball, and that is about it. Not worth $4+ per sub per month to me.

5. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    i was a little disappointed too that all the games were on ESPN, as i don't have sat or cable.

i can watch the replay on espn3, but would rather had the option to record them on my HTPC via OTA and delay my start time so i could FF through commercials, etc. . .

6. gomezma1

gomezma1 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I don't watch ESPN, I watch ESPN2. If it would save me money on my bill, I'd get rid of it.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    No doubt ESPN is a big chunk of the bill .. but those "lesser" channels will not be resting on their laurels .. Those rates will go up to. Sadly, until we reach the point that we won't pay .. Demand is outstripping supply and prices are rising.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Exactly... And also, how many people have cable just because ESPN is on cable and in that basic package?

IF ESPN was a la carte, what would happen if the sports-only people didn't buy those basic packages... then those "cheap" channels would have to raise their rates too.

Unless of course people would argue that everyone should be required to subscribe to that basic package... in which case we'd have a pot vs kettle situation.

9. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    Di$ney greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!