1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ESPN Ordered to Pay Dish Network $4.86 Million for Breach of Contract

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by phrelin, Feb 28, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From The Hollywood Reporter:
    It wasn't everything Dish hoped for, but....

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    $4.86 million is a drop in a bucket to ESPN. ;) Especially when their value is $4 BILLION.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...valuable-media-property-and-worth-40-billion/

3. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Also true for Dish which has an annual gross revenue of $14.3 billion. And certainly wasn't the win that Dish wanted, but it is probably enough to make the Disney/ESPN folks a little more cautious.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH won? Cool. It isn't a lot of money but there are some principles involved.

5. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I'm guessing, since ESPN won 3 of the 4 breach of contract claims and the punishment on the one they did lose was pretty tiny, ESPN will take this as a win.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    A win is better than a loss... but most importantly, if things continue to move forward... maybe we will see the return of those lost HD feeds + ones like ESPNUHD come sooner rather than later.

It might even help if each side can claim a "win" so that neither has an upper hand to be stubborn in coming to an agreement.

7. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Only the lawyers will see any of that money.

8. donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005 Legend

Feb 13, 2012
    OK so dish won but the thing no one is talking about is that ESPN and dish are in NEW contract negotiations so buyer beware dish may LOSE ESPN soon.

9. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    now i hope the two would get along so we can get these HD feeds back
    ABCFamilyHD,ESPNUHD,ESPNNEWSHD,DisneyHD,DisneyXDHD,Disney JuniorHD

10. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I thought there was another trial going on about Dish not paying for the HD feeds of those channels?

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are always negotiations going on between carriers and some provider ... and even if it gets to the point where ESPN leaves DISH later this year they will be back. It is just the nature of the business ... and while some will claim DISH loses more channels than anyone else NO carrier is immune from contracts expiring and channels being temporarily lost. No no, not one.

It is better to have these cases out of the way before the deadlines. One less thing to talk about in the negotiations.

12. donalddickerson2005

Feb 13, 2012
    Correct but all the others are locked up for years to come. If abc-espn wants to mess over dish all they have to do is not renew. How many people would switch to DirecTV or cable if that was to happen.

13. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Some probably will leave but there will be others that wont even miss any of the abc/espn channels

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    About as many as would switch to DISH because of some problem they see with DirecTV or cable.

ESPN leaving DISH would be temporary ... ESPN needs DISH's 14 million customers paying for their networks. Subscribers and ad revenue based on market penetration (how many homes they are in) is how ESPN makes their money. ESPN needs DISH. It is a symbiotic relationship.

15. donalddickerson2005

Feb 13, 2012
    Using your logic why doesn't dish and cable have Sunday ticket.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    For the same reason why the HBO channels are not in AT120 / Entertainment level packages. The NFL decided that they would make more money selling that content to less people at a premium.

The NFL would not be able to pull in the high dollars per subscriber if every carrier could get the package. And while one might argue that ESPN could convert to a premium, they would have to raise their rates more than the 2012 estimated $5 or 2017 predicted $8. Those rates are dependent on ESPN keeping or growing their subscriber count. The more subscribers they lose, the more money they have to get from the subscribers they keep.

If a non-DISH subscriber wishes that DISH lose ESPN forever then they are simply wishing that their own prices be increased. :D

As far as DISH goes, they do better financially in quarters where they lose subscribers (run the numbers :)). When a customer doesn't renew DISH does not have to keep paying ESPN and the other channel providers for that customer. Yet ESPN has to keep paying for their content and production even when they lose subscribers. Plus ESPN can take a hit from advertisers who buy based on market penetration and viewership, and from content providers who want their sports seen on all providers. Long term - Not being on DISH would hurt ESPN.

17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The day sports fans start advocating to include HBO in all tiers for a mere $7.00 a month increase in their bills, I'll start considering that ESPN in all tiers is just fine. Otherwise, I'm puzzled why someone thinks my subsidizing their entertainment interest is ok while they don't subsidize mine. HBO has about 30 million subscribers in the United States including me, so it's not exactly of minor interest like the basket weaving channel.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    30 out of 100 million isn't bad ... but the key is that selling HBO as a premium is what HBO has done with their programming since the beginning and the way that they as a company choose to market their programming. They have been able to create a nice suite of channels with that marketing plan.

And others have also chosen the "sell to less for more per subscriber" method of pricing their channels. It is a valid choice.

ESPN has chosen the other path ... the "be in every home and charge as many people as possible" distribution plan. It is a valid and more popular choice. There are very few premium channels/packages and a lot of channels pushing to be in as many homes as possible.

ESPN is not one of my go to channels ... the only time I watch it is when they put something there that normally I watch on other sports channels. I wish they were not the poster child for high priced channels ... but they got there by getting in at the base level and fighting to stay there.

I defend ESPN's choice to be one of the core basic channels on cable and satellite. I defend HBO's choice to be a premium channel package. Both are locked into their current strategies enough that if ESPN decided to go premium and HBO decided to go basic they both would end up losing.

Some strategies work better for some channels than others.

19. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Because DirecTV bribed the NFL for exclusive rights. Oh, wait, that's called a contract payment, not a bribe. And DirecTV did it because they believed (and still do, apparently, since they keep re-upping the contract) that enough people will choose DirecTV simply because they have NFL Sunday Ticket to justify the cost. Ad revenue from Sunday Ticket is a small part of the NFL's payment for programming. It is a huge part of ESPN's.

20. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    I think in this case it would be a lot more than some. No family with kids under 10 would be able to go without the Disney channels for an extended period. Also, even casual sports fans would be annoyed with the loss of ESPN. The only sport I watch regularly is college football for 3 months out of the year. ESPN is probably more than half of that. Not having that would be a real nuisance.

I would not expect a long term loss of either the Disney Channels or ESPN...but let's not kid ourselves that Dish could just do without them. This is not AMC or Lifetime....Dish would lose millions of customers.