1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ESPN pulls out of “Frontline” investigation on NFL concussions

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by oldschoolecw, Aug 23, 2013.

1. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I might just watch it now.

2. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Excerpt from New York Times article:

"Chris LaPlaca, an ESPN spokesman, said Thursday that ESPN’s decision was not based on any concerns about hurting its contractual relationship with the N.F.L. Rather, the network said in a statement, it was ending its official association with “Frontline” because it did not have editorial control of what appeared on the public television public affairs series."

I guess in the long run ESPN means that since it has no editorial control, that something that PBS says MAY hurt there contractual relationship with the NFL. ESPN seems to be doing a little dance here.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There might be more in play here than they are saying... I'm not naive... but to be fair... people and companies usually do not like to put their names on things that they don't get some measure of say in creating.

4. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Stephan Fatsis gave an interesting review of the decision on NPR's All Things Considered yesterday. This is a blow to ESPN's credibility as a sports news organization. Their official reason is a cop-out; the original deal didn't give them editorial control over what was aired on other channels. And they hadn't even seen the final product, so it isn't as though they saw it and then objected.

5. mrro82

mrro82 Legend

Sep 11, 2012
    Astoria, OR
    I call bs. It's obvious.

Sent from the other side of the Milky Way with my S4.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It's hard to call BS on the surface because IF there was a NFL-made-us-do-it scenario I would think ESPN just wouldn't have signed on in the first place. I mean, ESPN didn't establish this relationship with PBS prior to already having years of history entwined with the NFL.

I'm open to conspiracy theories... but it seems like if the ESPN backing out was due to NFL pressure that it would have prevented them from entering into the thing in the first place.