1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN to carry 14 NASCAR races in 2010!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Lodi25, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Lodi25

Lodi25 Legend

Jun 23, 2009
  2. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    That sucks. Many times, ESPN's PQ does not impress.

3. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    Another sign of Nascar's declining appeal and tv ratings IMHO.

4. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
  5. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I wonder if any of the races would be on ESPN 3D:D

6. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    With Nascar, Soccer and SEC college games, ESPN is gonna start charging providers even more over the coming years.

7. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    The good thing about this is that I won't have to deal with my local ABC affiliate forgetting to turn the HD back on after commercials. I had to call them at least 6 times last year.

8. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    The day that I find out that ESPN3D is showing NASCAR is the day I go pick up a 3Dtv.:)

9. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I see it as going to back to who brought you up in the first place.

10. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    My issue with ESPN isn't the video quality. It's their use of Circle Surround.

11. taz291819

taz291819 Godfather

Oct 18, 2006
    They've got to do at least 1 event. Fingers crossed!

12. smokes20

smokes20 Godfather

Sep 17, 2007
    I quit listening to any network race audio last season. Strictly video only here. Sirius carries the races using MRN (usually Dave Moody) announcers and the bonus is that Smoke usually has his own channel so I can listen to him and the crew exchange uncensored chatter :D. Smoke may be the owner, but he still uses his colorful language. :lol:

13. peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    As long as Allen Bestwick is still the host on ESPN, I am happy. He is informed, articulate and well spoken.

14. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I wonder if that is because they (NASCAR) have over managed the sport to the point they have thrown out much of what made it so popular in the first place decade ago. Limits on HP, limits on most everthing, same-ness on most things. There is basically no correlation to stock cars or manufacturers any more, as everyone is running essentially the same stipulated platform as far as I can tell, and I'm just a casual observer. Long gone are the days when someone could make a huge mark on the circuit like Ford did for a year or two in the mid 80s (remember awesome Bill from Dawsonville....)

15. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I think what is happening is just a retraction of the sport to it's original "pre-fad" era. In the late 90s and early 00s, NASCAR expanded into new markets that were mainly built on the "in-thing" status of the sport. Upscale stadium style super speedways like Fontana, Texas, Vegas, etc. were built with luxury boxes and seat licenses. Getting tickets for a race was a status thing and drew many new "fad-fans" to the sport. The fad-fans are now leaving as quickly as they came. TV ratings and track attendance are both dropping. What remains to be seen is how much of the traditional NASCAR fan base remains when the exodus is complete.

All I can say is that wherever you are in this country, there's probably great racing going on every weekend within 50 miles or so. Find your nearest local bull ring and go watch some real racers race.

16. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    There are no limits on HP, but there are design criteria that all engine builders have to follow, one team's motors can always have more HP that any other team...if you look at ANY form of auto racing today you'll see a similar trend...

17. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I do not see anything that would show decrease interest/viewership of NASCAR races. ESPN is putting its money where it is most important, the CHASE races. FOX and TNT will have the run up races to the Chase. It appears that ESPN2 will have all the National series races. It is interesting that ABC will show less races this year. It may be a move that will help make ESPN more attractive and provide leverage for higher carrage fees.

18. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI

Great points. Another thing to consider is the lack of any compelling rivalries. When Jeff Gordon came along and started whipping on Dale Sr on a regular basis ratings and attendance started to skyrocket. Gordon brought in a bunch of non-redneck new fans and provided mainstream appeal. Then when Dale Sr. died Dale Jr. was the big deal. Now that he's fizzled out those fans that he brought in have left along with the Dale Sr. fans that are no longer interested.

Regardless, any sport other than the NFL would be ecstatic to have NASCAR'S ratings and attendance.