1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ESPN2 in Widescreen?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bluegras, Mar 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    i wanted to know what happened with ESPN2 in widescreen now its back to fullscreen?

2. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You mean the SD channel? Not many of us watching that so not sure you will get an answer.

3. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    espn is in widescreen and a little while ago espn2 was broadcasting in wideaxreen?does anyone on here have HD and can you look on espn2 if it is widescreen.

4. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    A soccer match is on now and it is in widescreen.

5. bluegras

bluegras Godfather

Jan 31, 2008
    does anyone have espnnewsHD can you tell me if it is in Widescreen?

6. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Yes espnews is indeed in HD and it's also in widescreen. Just confirmed it.

7. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Let's get back to topic.

Discuss the topic, not each other.

8. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    ESPN is transitioning their big three channels to 16:9 widescreen. Most cable companies have already switched their SD channels over to the new format, I don't know why DirecTV is lagging.

9. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Right now, on Fios, only ESPN2 is in letterbox but not really. PTI is on and the PTI program is sort of letteboxed but slightly shifted down and the ESPN2 ticker is at the full bottom.

BTW, it looks the same on DirecTV on the SD channel.

Maybe DirecTV is not lagging....

10. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    When I say letterbox, I mean fully letterbox. Including the BottomLine.
    They are. And apparently so is FiOS.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Based on what? It looks like it is not working. How would they not put on what ESPN gives them?

12. tftc22

tftc22 Godfather

Mar 29, 2007
    ESPN is still maintaining an SD feed in addition to their HD feed. Directv is using the SD feed. Some cable companies, such as Comcast, have started downconverting the HD feed and letterboxing it for the SD channel. Because some cable companies are using the HD signal as a source for SD, ESPN removed the "HD" label from their HD channels.

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Yes, when ESPN removed the "HD" label on the BottomLine, they wanted providers to start using the downconverted HD feed. Most providers have made the switch. The SD feed will be going away.

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I think what Tony meant is if ESPN is letterboxing the SD versions of their big three channels (ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNnews) nowadays as Jeremy stated earlier, then why don't DirecTV and FiOS simply pass those letterboxed versions onto their system?

Unless ESPN is still not sending them in letterbox form, or a least not consistently so. Otherwise the only thing I can figure is that DirecTV and FiOS are ignoring the letterboxed SD feeds from ESPN, and down-rezzing and center-cutting the HD ones.

15. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    ESPN's old dedicated SD feeds are not letterboxed, and will not be letterboxed as far as I know. They're going away soon.
    The letterboxed SD is output by the new receiver for ESPN's HD feeds. DirecTV and FiOS are simply still using the old dedicated SD feed instead of the new feed out of the HD receiver.